The Shearwater Teric Announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m a long-time lurker, but sadly, an infrequent contributor... I should log on more often.

I was lucky enough to get a Teric from my LDS earlier this month; I’ve worn it tons, but have barely splashed around with yet. I’m taking it out to a local lake this weekend, though. And I can barely wait to take it out to the Red Sea in September.

Anyway, I thought I’d chime in on the subject of the durability of the coating on the bezel as I definitely considered this before pulling the trigger on the Teric rather than the Perdix AI. I’m a fairly avid watch collector (specifically dive watches), but I make a point to avoid anything with a coating like that of the Teric’c steel bezel - most are a PVD (physical vapour deposition) coating, some more expensive options can be DLC (diamond-like carbon). Before making the decision, I did share some emails with Shearwater on this.

I was told by Shearwater that the bezel, buttons and screws (the only exposed steel components) are PVD. I’m sure not all PVD coatings are created equal, but my experience is that no PVD lasts forever like DLC can. The VP Marketing at Shearwater went on to confirm that the “leading edge” of the bezel will show wear overtime and that scratches will probably leave visible marks.

At the end of the day, a PVD coating can be reapplied - and I think Shearwater might even do this (some third party watchmakers certainly could). Also, if one was so inclined, the PVD coating could be completely stripped - if there’s no coating, there’s much less of this superficial wear. To Hammet’s point above, a film or wrap of some type could be applied. Or, as most of us will probably do, we can live with the character-marks and patina that come with using such tools.

PS - Apologies for the long post, I really should log on more often.

Last edited:
I’m a long-time lurker, but sadly, an infrequent contributor... I should log on more often.

I was lucky enough to get a Teric from my LDS earlier this month; I’ve worn it tons, but have barely splashed around with yet. I’m taking it out to a local lake this weekend, though. And I can barely wait to take it out to the Red Sea in September.

Anyway, I thought I’d chime in on the subject of the durability of the coating on the bezel as I definitely considered this before pulling the trigger on the Teric rather than the Perdix AI. I’m a fairly avid watch collector (specifically dive watches), but I make a point to avoid anything with a coating like that of the Teric’c steel bezel - most are a PVD (physical vapour deposition) coating, some more expensive options can be DLC (diamond-like carbon). Before making the decision, I did share some emails with Shearwater on this.

I was told by Shearwater that the bezel, buttons and screws (the only exposed steel components) are PVD. I’m sure not all PVD coatings are created equal, but my experience is that no PVD lasts forever like DLC can. The VP Marketing at Shearwater went on to confirm that the “leading edge” of the bezel will show wear overtime and that scratches will probably leave visible marks.

At the end of the day, a PVD coating can be reapplied - and I think Shearwater might even do this (some third party watchmakers certainly could). Also, if one was so inclined, the PVD coating could be completely stripped - if there’s no coating, there’s much less of this superficial wear. To Hammet’s point above, a film or wrap of some type could be applied. Or, as most of us will probably do, we can live with the character-marks and patina that come with using such tools.

PS - Apologies for the long post, I really should log on more often.
Thank you for your very detailed response. I should have taken a picture on the boat, but the Teric looked beautiful, but the multiple shinning metal scratch marks on both sides of the bezel really stuck out (especially against the black paint). It won't deter me from buying and really loving the Teric, but it'll just be a reality that it won't look "new and board room like watch material" very long. My Perdix AI and Oceanic OCi (both with several hundred dives on them) look the exact same as the day I opened it. My Oceanic OC1 looked like I rubbed against every wreck I saw around the bezel. Well, at least the screen is sapphire mostly scratch proof ⚒️

some more expensive options can be DLC (diamond-like carbon). ....but my experience is that no PVD lasts forever like DLC can.

I wonder if Shearwater might do future watches with DLC given the reasonably high-end aspirations of the Teric? Did you get the impression they might or just that it is what it is?

In before someone comes out with a $5.00 rubber prophylactic protector for $75.00.

wish-list addition: If @Shearwater did do a protector in matching colours to their strap options it would look quite cool; a bit of a g-shock look for dive use, and with the possibility of black stealth for evening use (and by default have a black protector as part of the package). Hopefully they might charge something nominal for this :)

Great news! If you have the Divelog app & an IPhone, Divelog has been updated so you can download from the Teric using Bluetooth. Love it!

On the weekend, I had the chance to log a few quick dives at the lake closest to me... It worked fantastically! Something that I’m used to on a computer which wasn’t showing on the default dive mode screen is the temperature of the water (I formerly used a Zoop), although this isn’t really something that’s required. I’ll try to get out with it again before my trip to the Red Sea in September, just to get accustomed to it.

Thank you for your very detailed response. I should have taken a picture on the boat, but the Teric looked beautiful, but the multiple shinning metal scratch marks on both sides of the bezel really stuck out (especially against the black paint). It won't deter me from buying and really loving the Teric, but it'll just be a reality that it won't look "new and board room like watch material" very long. My Perdix AI and Oceanic OCi (both with several hundred dives on them) look the exact same as the day I opened it. My Oceanic OC1 looked like I rubbed against every wreck I saw around the bezel. Well, at least the screen is sapphire mostly scratch proof ⚒️

I’ll say that the sapphire crystal used is quite good for the price point - it seems quite thick and durable.

I wonder if Shearwater might do future watches with DLC given the reasonably high-end aspirations of the Teric? Did you get the impression they might or just that it is what it is?

wish-list addition: If @Shearwater did do a protector in matching colours to their strap options it would look quite cool; a bit of a g-shock look for dive use, and with the possibility of black stealth for evening use (and by default have a black protector as part of the package). Hopefully they might charge something nominal for this :)

I didn’t get any idea from Shearwater that they would consider a DLC coating. Agreed, they do have lofty aspirations for this computer, but DLC can get quite expensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay
On the weekend, I had the chance to log a few quick dives at the lake closest to me... It worked fantastically! Something that I’m used to on a computer which wasn’t showing on the default dive mode screen is the temperature of the water (I formerly used a Zoop)

On the weekend, I had the chance to log a few quick dives at the lake closest to me... It worked fantastically! Something that I’m used to on a computer which wasn’t showing on the default dive mode screen is the temperature of the water (I formerly used a Zoop)

While in dive mode, you can access the water temperature by pressing the Info button. (The one on the lower right, where the numeral 4 would be on an analog watch. I don't recall how many times you've got to press the button before you come to the temperature display. After 10 seconds displaying any specific screen, the display will revert to the default screen.

Has anyone tried this in colder water with 5mm or dry gloves? I haven't seen anyone using gloves in any of the videos, and those buttons look kind of tiny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom