The Smallest Underwater Video Cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JulieannevZ

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know what size the smallest size recreational underwater video camera is, including housing?

I found this article in the news about the world's smallest underwater camera that's been developed?

It's a mini-3D stereoscopic underwater video camera and will be used to help oil, gas and minerals explorers. They have the weight down to 1.3 kg (2.86 lbs) and it measures about 9.5 cm (3.74 inches) in diameter and is about 16 cm (6.29 inches) long.

Here's the full article if you're interested.

http://tinyurl.com/dvo4w

I'm wondering if this will be the beginning of smaller cameras for recreational scuba divers as well. Someone may apply the same technology (when it becomes cheaper).

Thanks (in advance) for your response:)

There is a point where being too small becomes a negative. That camera in the article is a specialized unit. If they become too small, you have a lens with a camera hanging on it. NOT good. We could remove the tape transport from many camcorders today and make them smaller, but then you would have an outboarded tape machine connected by cables to the camera. Back to 1970...

When I started in TV, "studio" cameras weighed about 90 pounds MINUS the lens and tripod. they have shrunk to around 55 pounds. Some handhelds have lost weight, but many have not. There is a minimum size needed to keep the camera steady and to allow smooth movement.

I was concerned about size and weight and after deciding to stay under 10 LBS,
went with the Amphibico Invader, and was pleasantly surprised to find that underwater
it only weighs about 7 oz and is very easy to use. A little pricey with cam and all, but
full featured and easy to dive with and use. Made for the Sony HC1000.

AMPHIBICO VHIS1000

I believe the heavier the camera the more stable it is...

Of course, to an exeptable extent...:)

You would not need a cray to immerse your housing system...:))

I think pC330 and relevant amphibico or L&M system would be the smallest available recreational choice...

Regards
Yener

JRO:
http://www.absea.net/oceanhaus/pc101.html

http://www.absea.net/oceanhaus/pc120.html

That's the smallest I've seen...Although I don't think I would like carrying something that small for underwater use, to unstable I would imagine.

I've seen these oceanhaus housings and handled one at the store. The best thing about it other thenthe size is the optics are very good. It uses a "wet" lens for wide angle shots and has an interchangable flat port for macro. It has basic mechanical controls and may handle even better than the non-hosed camera. When you see it up close you can see the workmanship is first rate.

yceltikci:
I believe the heavier the camera the more stable it is...

I think pC330 and relevant amphibico or L&M system would be the smallest available recreational choice...

Regards
Yener

Sony has now produced the PC1000, three chip camera on the PC330 chassis, so the size is quite comparable.

Back
Top Bottom