The snorkel problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Everyone's favorite topic! Hate on the snorkel!

In all seriousness, I believe a snorkel is an important piece of equipment. We don't need to have it on our masks unless we are snorkeling, but say for example, you get left by the boat. This doesn't happen as infrequently as would be ideal, and if it does and the seas pick up and you run out of gas waiting on the surface for hours, a snorkel will be extremely useful extending your airway and helping keep water out of your mouth. I also think that the mouth to snorkel method is the best for performing rescue breaths for an apneic diver on the surface, while continuously towing.

For the past year or so I've carried a "fold up" snorkel in my pocket. Unfortunately, pocket space is at a premium and instead of having to slap on an oversized pouch, I'm thinking about putting a couple loops of bungee through my plate, and stowing the snorkel between the plate and wing on the left side (so as to not interfere with long hose deployment).

Wanted to bounce this idea off you guys and see what everyone thinks.

I agree with idea that you should always diving with a snorkel. It is one of the most important and cheapest pieces of safety diving equipment available along with always carrying a knife. I see no reason to have it anywhere other then attached to a mask so it is always available for immediate use when needed.

Rick that sounds like a good idea. How is your fold-able snorkel packaged? Ie; a velcro strap or bungie wrapped around it to keep it folded while stored. Because if that's the case you could also secure it with a double ended snap bolt. B

I'm with emoreira, snorkel is, and will always be, in the left side of my mask.

I use it for the swim out to, and back from, my dives and have not found it a problem in the 50 years I've been SCUBA diving. I have mounted it elsewhere on the occations that I have been in some restricted spaces..

I don't care how anyone else dives, just don't expect sympathy from me if you need one and don't have one.

Bob
---------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

I think your idea is pretty reasonable. Sometimes I put mine under the bands thy hold a backup light.

I did have it attached to my mask because I use it when at the surface or swimming back to shore....that is until I was all caught up in fishing line and some twine. It caught the snorkel first and yanked my mask, flooded it and I had to grab for my knife while I was trying to keep calm. I ended up clearing my mask and cutting out of the crap.

Now I am not 100% positive but if I would not have had the snorkel attached to the mask then it would not have flooded and I would not have been stressing out so much. I ended the dive right after that. I don't get shaken easy...I have been shot at by the Taliban and when I was a Tanker by other tanks and wasn't as shook up as that moment.

Now I keep mine in a pocket....another note, the headbangers that go on the first stage helps keeping from getting tangled a bit also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom