The snorkel problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have also heard of dives looping bungie or surgical tubing around their can lights and storing the snorkel there. Of course you need to use a can light for this to work. There was a question further back on attaching the snorkel to the mask. What is the best way of doing so?

Try doing thousands of dives without one, then put one on. See if you notice the drag....

I'll try to keep that in mind in my next life. :)

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 06:59 AM ----------

I have also heard of dives looping bungie or surgical tubing around their can lights and storing the snorkel there. Of course you need to use a can light for this to work. There was a question further back on attaching the snorkel to the mask. What is the best way of doing so?

I like the old style 2 hole tab made from modern silicone.

.....I was even thinking about a loop snorkel...Brendan

How To Build A Loop Snorkel (Freediving & SCUBA) - YouTube

---------- Post added September 27th, 2013 at 09:17 AM ----------

..... There was a question further back on attaching the snorkel to the mask. What is the best way of doing so?

See post #18 by Thal.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...do-*you*-attach-your-snorkel.html#post4356530

Everyone's favorite topic! Hate on the snorkel!

I'm thinking about putting a couple loops of bungee through my plate, and stowing the snorkel between the plate and wing on the left side (so as to not interfere with long hose deployment).

that's how I do it

I used my snorkel in my open water class and on a four mile drift dive. I only brought it along on the drift experience because I would have run out of air (takes about four hours to float it in a tube with the current) and I ended up using the snorkel the majority of the time anyways. I can't stand having that thing clipped to my head.

I think two advances in diving technology made snorkel usage less fundamental than it used to be.
The first was the SPG, the second, the BCD.

Before both, it was quite likely that one would pull the J valve and surface needing to swim in from a dive, or that a problem would precipitate a direct ascent. Without a BCD (or drysuit) this meant swimming face forward with neutral buoyancy. A snorkel helped one do that and avoid dropping weight.

Now we can monitor gas usage to predict our exits (surfacing at the entry point), and if we do surface away from it, we can inflate our BC's and float in.

I have a bolt snap tied to my snorkel and when I bring it I just clip it off and tuck it in, or bungee it to the tank and clip off on the bungee.

Here I have just clipped it off to my chest D ring for a simple swim. Also note how easy it is to check the position of the J valve :)

snorkel.png

I use my snorkel for snorkeling. Somehow or other, I've ended up with two of them. One is probably 40 years old if not 50. It's in perfect condition. Could probably make money off of it on ebay. :)

The other i bought 20 or so years ago to match my mask, as supposedly i had to buy fins, mask & snorkel to take PADI OW. :)

It is also in perfect condition and still travels with me on my dive trips, just in case I feel like snorkeling. I don't shore dive anymore, and even though there is ocassion for a surface swim now and then, I've not found it necessary.

Feeling confident in my position.

For a recent course I took, the instructor wanted me to have a snorkel. I do not normally carry one. I purchased a simple, roll up snorkel:

XS Scuba SN650 Cargo

And an XS removable pocket, WB101QA:

XS Scuba Pocket Weight Belts

I placed the pocket WB101QA on the lower section of my left shoulder harness tucked up by the plate. All was satisfied. Once the course was completed, I removed it and the snorkel and tossed it into my dive bag possibly never to be seen again.

I free dive some, do not use a snorkel there either but if I do I like the Omer Zoom:

OMER USA - Freediving and Spearfishing Equipment - Products

A snorkel is useful for beach/shore diving with a double hose regulator without a BC or if using a horse collar type BC, easier to swim face down. With a single hose regulator and a wing/BP, I much prefer swimming on my back regardless of the distance, easier to navigate and easier to see boat traffic. Why double hose vs. single hose matters, a double hose regulator will free flow if swimming on the back unless the air is cut off or the regulator mouthpiece is plugged. I usually just turn the air off. My new Krakens came with cool mouthpiece plugs, I had used an earlier version with my PRAM but still for a long surface swim, I just shut the valve off, swim on my back with the wing partially inflated, GPS on my tummy, dive float/flag in tow. I understand there may someday be a shutoff valve mouthpiece, I will get one of those for long surface swims.

Oh, this has come up before, about the GPS, no, I do not take it down with me, I tie/clip it off to my surface float. Somebody told me there GPS flooded and blah, blah, yeah, if you take it down with you it will. Hey, iPhones have waterproof cases now, you can navigate and watch cool youtube videos about how to make a twin tube snorkel while swimming out. You guys got to get with the 21st Century one of these days.

N

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom