The soloist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO if you are still playing around on "easy" sites to gain confidence, then you lack the confidence in yourself to be on your own. Stay with a buddy until you know you are ready, even if you never plan to solo anywhere but the sheltered sites.
But what do I know? You've got it all figured out...

I'm understand that you put the IMO disclaimer upfront but wouldn't playing around on the easier sites just be considered either part of your self prescribed limitations or " conservative " diver as the term you have used to hack DaleC on more than one occasion. Seems smart to me, but I don't have anything figured out.

I'm not seeing the wisdom in what seems to be your, if you can do it with two people you MUST be ready to do by yourself. There is a possibility I'm reading something into your post that you may not think are there, but apparently I'm not the only one that sees it. I'm not trying to flame you but maybe you are talking it a wee bit personal.

If he were a D/M or instructor, no worries then

What does being a DM/Instructor have to do with Solo diving??? I've met plenty of DMs who have been diving less than one year, and log a dozen dives or more in a weekend.

Tom

.... Things like allowing your reg to be ripped out of your mouth, for instance:

Since I do not know the poster personally, I can only go by what I read. A couple of things stand out.
First, how did a rock rip out the reg? Was there surge? Otherwise that should never have happended. I have snagged hoses before, I am sure everyone has, but never with that much force. This could have been fatal, and most likely was preventable. It sounds like complacency in light of other factors, and was one of the reasons I advised more time in the water.
[/I]..:)

What a bunch of garbage. I have had my reg ripped or knocked out of my mouth probably 100 times. If you do any type of hunting or poking around into wrecks or holes this is guaranteed to happen. Of course it could be fatal, so could falling in the bath tub.

In fact, getting the regulator pulled from the mouth is such a "non-event" that I almost commented to the OP that if he thinks that is a big deal to manage underwater, then he needs more practice.

In fact, getting the regulator pulled from the mouth is such a "non-event" that I almost commented to the OP that if he thinks that is a big deal to manage underwater, then he needs more practice.

Those were my thoughts...

I'm understand that you put the IMO disclaimer upfront but wouldn't playing around on the easier sites just be considered either part of your self prescribed limitations or " conservative " diver as the term you have used to hack DaleC on more than one occasion. Seems smart to me, but I don't have anything figured out.

I'm not seeing the wisdom in what seems to be your, if you can do it with two people you MUST be ready to do by yourself. There is a possibility I'm reading something into your post that you may not think are there, but apparently I'm not the only one that sees it. I'm not trying to flame you but maybe you are talking it a wee bit personal.

My point simply is that if you are self sufficient, compitent, and ready to dive solo, you are self sufficient, compitent, and ready to dive solo. i don't see why someone who fits that description needs to stay in a sheltered area, they are just as ready to solo a normal dive site as they are protected one. On the other hand if that diver feels the need to stay in a protected area practicing or getting used to the idea, then IMO they are not ready to solo yet.
That is it, nothing more. And while I admit the concept is debatable, I don't think equating it to being ready to do an overnighter in the woods behind your house as opposed to soloing Mt. Everest is...well it is frustrating, hence my snarkiness.

What a bunch of garbage. I have had my reg ripped or knocked out of my mouth probably 100 times. If you do any type of hunting or poking around into wrecks or holes this is guaranteed to happen. Of course it could be fatal, so could falling in the bath tub.

Well, that is one way of looking at I guess. Me? I would rather maintain control of my airsupply. And if I lose that control, I prefer to think about how to prevent that in the future. Differences in opinion I suppose...

My point simply is that if you are self sufficient, compitent, and ready to dive solo, you are self sufficient, compitent, and ready to dive solo. i don't see why someone who fits that description needs to stay in a sheltered area, they are just as ready to solo a normal dive site as they are protected one. On the other hand if that diver feels the need to stay in a protected area practicing or getting used to the idea, then IMO they are not ready to solo yet.
That is it, nothing more. And while I admit the concept is debatable, I don't think equating it to being ready to do an overnighter in the woods behind your house as opposed to soloing Mt. Everest is...well it is frustrating, hence my snarkiness.

I think one needs to be self-sufficient in order to be a safe solo diver and that shouldn't change depending on dive type. I.e. one is self-sufficient on a shallow easy dive but not on a deeper dive? That doesn't make sense to me as in one scenario you are happy to totally rely on yourself but not in another one? I guess I feel that way as I have experienced problems with very unreliable instabuddies, where really, I only have myself to rely on... A reliable buddy is a bonus, not a given. Therefore I agree that if you are self-sufficient you should be fine to do any type of solo dive that you currently feel comfortable to do with a buddy. I know I would be comfortable to dive by myself on any type of dive I am currently comfortable to do with a buddy.

Locally though, I would find it difficult to do a solo dive anywhere other than a shallow shore dive (unless I am ok with doing a *very long surface swim :wink:), but that is because the charters I go on do not allow solo diving. I think they might if I do a Solo course though... but I don't really feel like paying for a course for something I am comfortable with already... Might change my mind though on that and decide it is worth the card to avoid hassle!

Locally though, I would find it difficult to do a solo dive anywhere other than a shallow shore dive (unless I am ok with doing a *very long surface swim :wink:), but that is because the charters I go on do not allow solo diving. I think they might if I do a Solo course though... but I don't really feel like paying for a course for something I am comfortable with already... Might change my mind though on that and decide it is worth the card to avoid hassle!

Im with you. Dive ops here used to allow solo diving, but now, well I guess if you know the Captain, otherwise nobody wants to put themselves at risk of a lawsuit.
The quarry I go to allows solo diving, but only those certified as solo, and only if they have a locator. The local inlets, it is against ordinances SO, I don't solo very often either, when I do it is on vacation.

I haven't taken the course, and it is so far down my list of classes I would like to take that I may never get to it. I know an instructor that teaches it though, and talking to him there is a ton of good info in it, plus maybe a different way of looking at things. You can get the info through other courses, common sense, and good old fashioned diving, but you may be surprised at what is in it.:)

Seaducer

I'm going to bow out of our discussion now as I think we have entered a phase of back and forth that will yield little more positive result. I feel I've said what I wanted to say to the OP and I have explained my position enough for others. If a new constructive vein of discussion breaks out perhaps I'll jump back in.

You sound like a passionate and committed diver and I can't knock you for that; even if I disagree completely with your stance. It is too bad that you do not feel the same way about me but perhaps from your perspective that is to be expected. It has definitely been better than having a discussion with someone who really doesn't care about the issue though, I will say that.

I am afraid that we will have to agree to disagree. I can see your POV as being valid for some, not all, but I feel I shall never be able to make you see mine. I am willing to allow my position to stand for itself however and I hope it will at least give other people reading the thread some food for thought.

Once again, no hard feelings.

Dale.

Fair enough Dale. I can see that you are thinking and passionate about diving also. That we have differences in opinion on something is fine, and I agree discussing things passionately is better than apathy.
I won't lie, it isn't your opinions but something about the way you express them that is rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe it is your style, or maybe I am just cranky and more sensitive than normal. Probably all of those things.
I didn't come here looking for a fight but I guess that is where we were heading.
I do see your POV, and to be honest in most activities we would probably agree. Diving is different though, at least for me.
Anyway, agree to disagree. And no hard feelings on my end either. Hopefully the next time we find ourselves on opposite sides it will be a little more lighthearted...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom