The soloist

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....If he were a D/M or instructor, no worries then (as Jack Sparrow in Pirates I, II, and III would say.) Becoming a D/M first would be a better idea...

Hi Nereas: I understand what you are trying to say, but disagree because the OP could actually get his DM cert fairly quickly (based at least on min PADI requirements for becoming a DM), learn some great, cool new stuff and get some more supervised dives in, but still not have learned anything significantly different than he already knows with regard to diving solo!

There are all things that ALL of us still have to learn, hopefully not the hard way, and the saying "you don't know what you don't know" certainlly applies to all phases of diving when it is new to you.

Solo diving is just diving. There is nothing special about it, no secret handshakes to learn. Its no different than the diving he already doing.... just without anyone to chat with before and after the dive, or point out cute fishies to :D

I think this OP "gets it" that there are situations that he can get into that only a buddy can save him from. We all understand that when we solo. He does need to proceed with lots of caution, ask lots of questions, and have a mentor (he does!).

No one can (without meeting him and diving with him) say whether he is ready or not. I've watched instructors and DM's who are amazing divers, divers that made me think, wow, I hope I'm that "squared-away" and good someday (and I know I can never be as good as some of them)... and I've watched a few that, well, you've probably all seen your share of not-so-impressive "dive pro's".

Certified is not always the same as qualified.

Anyway, I think my only recommendation from an experience standpoint is that the OP should lead a few buddy dives in the locations he is considering soloing as a "next step". Mainly to make sure is totally comfortable and familiar with navigating the sites.

After that, only he can decide when he is ready.

Safe Diving.

"...but that is because the charters I go on do not allow solo diving. I think they might if I do a Solo course though..."

Seaducer:
"...The quarry I go to allows solo diving, but only those certified as solo"...
I took the course and have the card.

These are reasons why. On many eastern seaboard charters, if you sign up for a slot alone you WILL BE buddied up with either another single diver or else you will be a third buddy with another pair. The ONLY way you are allowed to dive alone is if you display the solo cert card.

Same thing with many quarries. You dive in pairs, or you don't dive. The ONLY exception is if you display the solo cert card.

Under circumstances such as these, expediency trumps frustration. I took the course to avoid being buddied up against my better judgement on charter boats.

Your mileage definitely may vary. You can get all breathless and escalated about it, and declare loudly that "you doan need no steenkin' solo course".

Fine. Just don't try to solo off a charter that is forced to pay big bucks for liability insurance. You'll either find yourself buddied up with some nightmare who is a yard sale on the boat and a circus underwater, or else you won't be diving.

:wink:

These are reasons why. On many eastern seaboard charters, if you sign up for a slot alone you WILL BE buddied up with either another single diver or else you will be a third buddy with another pair. The ONLY way you are allowed to dive alone is if you display the solo cert card.

Same thing with many quarries. You dive in pairs, or you don't dive. The ONLY exception is if you display the solo cert card.

Under circumstances such as these, expediency trumps frustration. I took the course to avoid being buddied up against my better judgement on charter boats.

Your mileage definitely may vary. You can get all breathless and escalated about it, and declare loudly that "you doan need no steenkin' solo course".

Fine. Just don't try to solo off a charter that is forced to pay big bucks for liability insurance. You'll either find yourself buddied up with some nightmare who is a yard sale on the boat and a circus underwater, or else you won't be diving.

If I insisted on solo diving, I would ask the charter beforehand and if they said I needed the card, then I would not push the matter. I understand they are covering themselves from liability. I have noticed local charters kind of have a 'I won't ask if you don't tell' attitude towards solo diving and other rules they have. So this means many people show up with a buddy and then split up underwater. Or they use private boats instead of charters. Other rules I have seen on boats include requiring one to have a dive computer, a snorkel, a redundant gas supply on dives below 30m, an SMB and so on. None of these are actual laws, just ways for charters to cover themselves. As long as you do not show up on a boat and go "I have no snorkel!!!", for example, they do not care :wink:

Some liveaboards take the solo card as well, and if I were looking into a liveaboard and didn't have someone I knew going with me, I would consider the course part of the vacation fee, and have the card before I get to the dock.

During my stint in the Boy Scouts, many moons ago, the most important thing I took from that was their motto: Be Prepared.
I have tried to live my life by that credo, and my initiation into diving is no exception. I believe knowledge is king; hence the reason for this thread.
Thanks again to all for your posts. I have thoughtfully read them all, and while I may not agree with some, I find most to be valid. There are obviously many approaches to beginning the 'solo path', and in the end we all have to find our own way.

If I insisted on solo diving, I would ask the charter beforehand and if they said I needed the card, then I would not push the matter. I understand they are covering themselves from liability. I have noticed local charters kind of have a 'I won't ask if you don't tell' attitude towards solo diving and other rules they have. So this means many people show up with a buddy and then split up underwater. Or they use private boats instead of charters. Other rules I have seen on boats include requiring one to have a dive computer, a snorkel, a redundant gas supply on dives below 30m, an SMB and so on. None of these are actual laws, just ways for charters to cover themselves. As long as you do not show up on a boat and go "I have no snorkel!!!", for example, they do not care :wink:

Sort of like my dirt track racing days. The rule book "strongly recommended" a helmet, fire suit and gloves, seat belts, etc. When I asked a track promoter why they were recommendations and not specifically required, he said if he required it he would have to be responsible if someone was injured that didn't have it

Interesting... I've never heard of any dive ops that would actally honor the solo card. Maybe if you're known on the boat, but certainly not a complete stranger, which kinda means they're trusting you because they know you, rather than because of the card.

Interesting... I've never heard of any dive ops that would actally honor the solo card. Maybe if you're known on the boat, but certainly not a complete stranger, which kinda means they're trusting you because they know you, rather than because of the card.

That's the thing, different places have different ways, I never heard of the solo cert. in South Florida (N.Florida is like another planer, I still don't understand them).
As a general rule operators that cater to tourists tend to treat everyone as if they're doing their first dive after getting an OW card. Boats catering to locals are easier, letting you do as you please, just don't cause any paperwork for them.
Also with shore dives, usually the only hassle is where to park your vehicle. I understand in some parts of California there are issues with solo diving from shore.

The fundamental reality is butt-covery with respect to liability insurance policies.

The insurance industry drives much of the medical industry, e.g. determining what surgeries will be covered, who qualifies for various treatments, etc.

The insurance industry also drives many other industries, such as gaming (Las Vegas), travel and tourism (major hotels and resorts), and public transportation (which includes 'coaches' and other vehicles for hire - including charter boats).

Very few business folks can afford to thumb their noses at the insurance industry - and this goes in particular for liability insurance, where jury awards can result in catastrophic losses.

FWIW.

YMMV.

saspotato, you said l33t. About diving skills. hee hee, that could be a first :)

Dale, in response to your post long ago (in response to one I posted earlier), I suspect that we do have much common ground in this discussion. I maintain, however, that there are many skills particular to the undersea environment, that can only be learned while diving in that environment- 3-d dynamic situational awareness, and multitasking with gear being two of the most important.

Is number of dives the unique qualifying factor? Of course not. In addition to dive context (temperature, visibility, leadership/responsibility), there's also dive time. I've assisted with 10 - 20 minute dives, done primarily to add a notch to a student's log book. Today I executed a 100 minute dive involving navigation between two different dive spots. Certainly the experience gleaned from today's dive was more potent (at least, in regards to soloing).

Additionally, people learn at different rates. Dale and tropitan may be exceptionally quick studies underwater. I've not yet, and will not in the future deny that possibility (excepting evidence to the contrary).

Diving is ultimately all about risk management. We're not biologically equipped to exist for extended periods of time underwater, and anytime we enter the water with scuba, we're balancing quality of life against desire for safety. The gear, the training, and the rules are all designed so that people who have accepted the danger can mitigate the risk to the greatest extent possible. Solo diving adds an additional layer of risk- a rather significant layer, in my estimation, but it really is nothing novel. The process is the same- evaluate the failure scenarios, weigh against the desire, and if it seems worthwhile, do what you can to mitigate risk.

In general, as I stated earlier, my primary risk-reduction recommendation to a relatively new (~30 dives) diver would be to dive more with a buddy. Second to that would be Rescue Diver training, and a solo course if you want more. Third, I'd recommend seeking a mentor.

If anyone chooses to disregard any of those recommendations, I'm not going to call the scuba police. I won't even huff or puff. In the end, you're the best judge of your abilities. I just can't help but recall...
I thought I knew driving when I was 16.
I thought I knew Math after my Calculus courses.
I thought I knew satellites after my first year as an Engineer.

I'm not going to make the same mistakes with scuba. I hope none of you do either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom