The Texas Clipper - July 18, 2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amascuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While you guys were having fun without me at the Blue Hole last weekend, a buddy and I made a long road trip down to South Padre for a four day weekend. While we were there we dove on the Texas Clipper through American Diving.

It's a longish boat ride out to the clipper (18 miles off the coast / about an hour boat ride). We had a mild surge (2 ft surge) the entire way out there, so it wasn't too bad. We had the privilege of diving with four disabled vets (two of them recently back from Iraq). Great bunch of people.

Current's were mild, visibility was about 40 - 60 ft. Apparently there were shrimpers scraping the sea floor around the clipper shortly before we arrived at the site at around 8AM. We did two shortish dives. 85 fsw for 35 minutes. It's a long ways out for a couple of short dives. I would have been more pleased with three or even four dives to really get a feel for the ship. She's about 350 ft long and sits in about 120 of water. Either way, we had a good time.

Here's a short video from the dives. (My third over all attempt at underwater video... I'm slowly getting better...)

I SOOO wish I could! I want to dive out there pretty badly, but it's bad timing for me. I've got to go out to Georgia during the first of October for a wedding and I'm hoping to be employed somewhere else in the next couple of weeks, so I won't have any vacation time. :(

I SOOO wish I could! I want to dive out there pretty badly, but it's bad timing for me. I've got to go out to Georgia during the first of October for a wedding and I'm hoping to be employed somewhere else in the next couple of weeks, so I won't have any vacation time. :(

yeah, we are kinda in the same position. Ron will only have to take 1 day off work (Friday) since it is the holiday weekend. Dive all day Sat and Sun, then drive home Monday. :D Maybe you can call in sick on Friday!:wink:

nice video James, Thanks for sharing your dive. with the board.

I am glad to see a report from the “Texas Clipper”. I have been wondering how the diving was on the wreck since I have a trip to go down there on Aug. 8th with about 12 people. Hopefully we can get a little better viz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom