The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the problems with an anonymous source is it is hard to get truly reliable information that one can verify! Might have been more votes than we have been told!
But then, they will also be able to vote here anonymously so their vote would be counted twice.

Oh wait, that's how we do things in Flori-duh anyway.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Pete, the word polarization has been bantered about a few times... Is it so wrong for people to have an opinion on a matter in a social community? Is it so wrong for people to subtly indicate their stance on the matter without spewing forth yet another post summarizing the points of someone else...?

Or do yo honestly foresee leather jackets being printed up w/ DLB, Hitchhikers, Lionfish, DNY on the backs and people showing up at the dock @ 8pm for a good ole fashion re-enactment from West Side Story....

What purpose does enabling the Thanks button serve in these specific threads vs. others....? From the forum selection, its all about educating the new diver. Seems like taking a page from LDS playbook on identifying their clientèle. All us people who've been around forever don't matter anymore, cuz it's all about pushing the mask, fins, and snorkel....

Have a Happy ITK - I will... The internet will be here when I return....

-Tim

COOL! We gotta do that! :thumb:

But I (same as you and others) would get too hot.....being a member of all but one of the listed groups....IJS

Sorry, can't thank you for this one, I'm lost
Can we have an "I'm lost" button?

You should start a thread about that :D.....

And THANKS :D for the great idea.

28032.jpg

:doh: I packed the wrong one

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Attention all concerned users

NetDoc has asked me to reinstall the thanks hack for a limited number of forums. This is not an official vBulletin product and to configure it in specific forums only will take some time to implement.

Your patience is appreciated while this is being done.

Let today be forever known as the Battle over the Thanks Button Day or Victory over the Thankless Day. But the Battle is not over. We cannot walk alone. I have a dream that some day, all posts, all threads, can be thanked. I have a dream that one day we can live in a forum where people will not be judged by their screen name, but by the content of their threads. Yes, I have a dream today...

I'm not going to read 34 pages of this thread but could someone please explain or post to the explanation of what exactly was being abused and how? I mean, I can't see that the person being thanked would be upset by the feature and I don't get why someone else might take exception to someone being thanked-even if that person holds a different opinion. It just shows that a certain number of people agree or disagree with you and does not validate the position one way or the other.

What purpose does enabling the Thanks button serve in these specific threads vs. others....? From the forum selection, its all about educating the new diver. Seems like taking a page from LDS playbook on identifying their clientèle. All us people who've been around forever don't matter anymore, cuz it's all about pushing the mask, fins, and snorkel....

The forums selected are "diving related only." Scuba Diving Central includes everything from New Divers through Tech, Instructor forums, Captain forums, etc. So it's not about the new divers, it's about diving related content. At the moment the only forums on the DNR list are the community and the non-diving related forums.

While I can't make any promises on what the final resolution will be, we are still considering all the feedback being given, both pro and con.

Slandered? You probably meant libeled, and all I did was to provide a few facts about the Lionfish thread. Let me list them...
  • People are making wild allegations that this action was a direct result of the Lionfish Thread. (True while the allegations are false)
  • People have indeed apologized for their actions in that thread. (True)
  • It has been the subject of a number of reported posts. (True)
  • None of those reports concerned the Thanks button. (True)
  • It has been used to make fun of others. (True)
  • Those posts have been removed. (True)
  • I don't think that its mission has only to do with Lionfish. (True)

I did not bring up the Lionfish thread, but many have and are blaming it for the removal of the thanks button. I aimed to show that this was not the case. In doing so, I simply stated facts. As I have learned in a suit recently brought against me, the truth, no matter how unflattering, is the absolute defense against libel. I feel that I am not guilty in that respect. I have stated previously I was not being coy in posting this. I also pointed out later that this was something that the mods have reached consensus on, based over several years of trying to keep civility here on ScubaBoard. Indeed (and ironically so), keeping ScubaBoard civil is largely a thankless job and the mods should be commended for their hard work and devotion. But here, I will try to explain it.

In many of the more contentious threads, you will see the two sides coalescing by the thanks given to one side or the other. The more contentious the thread, the more thanks are given and to the point that it may resemble your Lionfish thread in the sheer number of thanks given. It should not be hard to see that these kind of contentious threads usually spawn problematic posts which must be dealt with. The causality is tenuous at best: which came first, the thanks or the problematic posts? Yet the mods and I believe that the Thanks feature can actually galvanize opposing sides into to making more and more inflammatory posts, creating more work for us and a less civil community. I don't know how else to explain it, I apologize for my ineptitude in doing so, but I am not alone in seeing this phenomenon. Many of the people who have PMed me privately, thanking me for this, have indicated the very same thing. If you have not experienced it, then please thank the mods for their ability to keep things moderately civil. Perhaps this helps somewhat more even though I must apologize for not being able to convey my thoughts as I would like. Mea culpa.

Well duh..there's no THANKS button!!!:idk:

:rofl3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom