The "Thanks" button is gone.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain and satisfy the curiosity of those of us that weren't aware that there was a probem with the thanks button?

If I'm interpreting Pete correctly, the problem seems to be that heated arguments draw more thanking behavior, which serves to escalate the debate. Readers add multiple thanks to a post they agree with, then multiple thanks to posts insulting/defaming/debunking/questioning the virility of others. Thus polarization. An example of this would probably be the banning thread we recently had.

So the solution to de-escalate such things...is to remove the thank you button.

If I'm missing the point here, any mod who was in on the debate can correct me.

If I'm interpreting Pete correctly, the problem seems to be that heated arguments draw more thanking behavior, which serves to escalate the debate. Readers add multiple thanks to a post they agree with, then multiple thanks to posts insulting/defaming/debunking/questioning the virility of others. Thus polarization. An example of this would probably be the banning thread we recently had.

So the solution to de-escalate such things...is to remove the thank you button.

If I'm missing the point here, any mod who was in on the debate can correct me.

I like my explanation better. It better captures the spirit of those easily offended by things that are not really effecting them.

I like my explanation better. It better captures the spirit of those easily offended by things that are not really effecting them.

I'm working with the honey >> vinegar theory. Got to try that now and then.

At times I have probably used the offending button for just about every reason mentioned in this thread: to thank good informative, and helpful posts, to say "I agree" with other posts, to add a bit of input to a discussion without writing a full post, to be playful, or even add a touch of sarcasm on occasion, etc. All of the above, at different time, and in many different forums.

It is simply a tool, and has various uses. Keeping or removing such a tool will neither end divisive behavior, nor encourage it. If someone wishes to be humorous, they will find a way. If they chose to be offending or offensive, they will also find a way. If someone wishes to find offense in the actions, opinions or words of others, they will also find a way.

It all seems a bit like trying to ban knives, because a few citizens might use knives in an uncivilized manor, even though the lowly knife is most often used to better our lives in an endless number of ways.
I have come to expect such mindless knee jerk, over reaction from small minded politicians, always in a hurry to show some small, but vocal minority that they are doing SOMETHING. :shakehead:

Thanks for the update CD...but can I ask a question...Is this "removal" something that actually affects the functionality of the board, or is it just someone's idea of control? If it doesn't affect the functionality then; WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?!?! (not yelling at you) Obviously people want the button, and there are people that think it's a joke (some of them are one in the same) To me this is just a huge waste of moderator resources and is apparently pissing a lot of people off in the long run! Like many have said, if you don't LIKE something, someone, or someplace DON'T go there! :idk:

But again..what is the big deal?????

The Thanks button is not a standard feature of vBulletin. It is an add on or a "hack." As such, it appears to have to be updated separately whenever upgrades are done. When the hack was uninstalled, it appears that something was lost, reset, or :idk:

The reinstall appears to be having a configuration problem and I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous with it. I'm working through it, in my spare time, but it's not going to be an instantaneous fix.

To address Why? it was uninstalled, there were some complaints regarding the whole thanks issue and staff was reviewing these complaints to assess the merit and the course of action. Pete has been busy with other issues and missed most of the discussion, leaving it up to us to come to a consensus. When he came in and checked, his misread part of the discussion and killed the entire hack. He made note of that here:

As a whole, the mod squad has decided that something should be done about the thanks button and that was based on our collective experience in trying to keep things civil here on ScubaBoard. In actuality, I misunderstood the consensus of the mods when I totally killed the thanks button. For this, you have my sincere apologies. However, since they have clued me in a bit on what was actually decided, we are taking a bit of time to get it right.

So no, it was not done as a "control" thing. It was done as a result of a misunderstanding, which we are now working to correct.

Just to be clear, there are several issues that the Thanks! function has caused amongst users. It is not about an individual user, thread, or group. It's about a collective problem which I will not discuss further here.

In response to a few other comments that have been made in the thread:

• Yes, there have actually been complaints.
  • No, you don't have to believe that if you don't want to.
  • The reason why most of you aren't aware there is a problem is because you're not the ones that the emails, PM's and reports get sent to.
  • Just because you can't envision how something can cause a problem for another user doesn't mean that it can't.
  • People have the right to disagree on their opinions of the Thanks! or how they use it.
  • Things that we consider abuses will be dealt with on an individual basis once it's been reinstalled.
  • Expect that there will be some functionality changes and limitations

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom