The Thing You Thought You'd Never See ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a tray of unbroken eggs in the food stores on a wreck that had got down 30 years ago

A Double Crested Cormorant bird whizzing past me while diving 50 feet deep on an underwater pinnacle off the backside of Anacapa Island; So Cal Channel Islands. He was fishing.

Double-crested Cormorant - Channel Islands National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

Feeding
The diet of the double-crested cormorant consists predominantly of a wide variety of fish. The cormorant dives from the surface and chases fish underwater, propelled by its powerful webbed feet. The bird then grabs the fish with its bill, rather than spearing it; upon surfacing, it flips the fish into the air, then catches and swallows it head-first.

Last edited:
Statues under water near Isla Mujeres. Amazing! But then I didn't think I'd see a giant Manta, eels, etc,.......Every time I go diving I seem to see something new. For me, that's the beauty and excitement of diving.

I always had a fascination with sawfish hoping to catch one on rod and reel in my early years never did happen. On my third checkout dive on breakers reef at 40’ or so we dropped right on top of 3 sawfish chillin on the outside edge of the reef. Everyone had decent buoyancy and didn’t hit sand but they’ve still spooked and left the reef quickly. Hope to see another one when I have my GoPro and can get evidence of it.

This one is from freediving but still apply to underwater I guess.

I watched a 20lb kingfish eat a sandperch off the reef in 25’ of water. Fishing for these guys throughout my life I was always excited to watch them eat ballyhoo off the surface sometimes rocketing clear out of the water. But watching the precision it took to swipe a 5-6” fish off the bottom amongst the reef was mind blowing.

Only 13 dives in and I know it will be a life long passion along with freediving.

IMG_8438.JPG

I'm not sure if anybody came up missing that day.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom