• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

The Third Dive: The Death of Rob Stewart

Discussion in 'Scuba Diving TV & Movies' started by BazzaB, Oct 16, 2018.

1. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Rob had completed 10,000 dives according to the CBC blurb. Really?

2. Rosborne

Rosborne Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I've heard that figure before. It sounds high but he had been diving since he was 12 years old. He was 37 when he died. So 25 years of diving. He shot three underwater documentaries during the past 12 years. So I would say it would not be inconceivable that he'd reached that number. For me, it's irrelevant whether he had 5000 or 7000 or whatever, the point is that he was not a neophyte diver as he was described by some. Any diver with a few thousand dives knows what he/she is doing and its very unlikely they're going to be told to do something dangerous. I think that if Rob Stewart made three dives to below 200 feet in a day, then he chose to do that--wisely or unwisely.

The Third Dive

I think Steve Lewis weighs in with a pretty common sense approach to doing three sub-200 foot dives in a day.

3. Capt Jim Wyatt

Capt Jim Wyatt Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop Staff Member

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    You can't. Upload to YouTube and link here.

The Chairman likes this.
  4. mdax

mdax Solo Diver

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Zero chance I'd watch a show by rosborne after reading his huffpo article about carlos death.

Taking a clear fatality from breathing the wrong gas, confirmed by an expert and threading in mystery or uncertainty to pique interest is lame.
    No reason to watch the same unsupported questions and tactic for another accident.

If you can't connect dots for an obvious, simply understood and corroborated incident there is no reason to look to you to explain another.

rjack321 and lv2dive like this.
  5. RayfromTX

RayfromTX Student Of Gas Mixology Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    The problem with titilating "journalism" is that it pollutes our memory. This accident is complicated to completely understand and our knowledge of it is at best incomplete. When we add in rumors and enhanced versions of reality then we later become victims of "well what I heard was". Stories are best kept in the realm of fiction. Real life should be reported by agenda free sources as far as humanly possible. I will pass on these "based on a true story" type documentaries.

6. kelemvor

kelemvor Big Fleshy Monster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Eyewitness memory - Wikipedia
    If you don't want to do the reading, Check out Season1 Episode3 of the show "Adam Ruins Everything". The show debunks many common myths about forensic "science" including eyewitness testimony. It's pretty entertaining, too.

Hopefully, this will help you not repeat such an error. It's the sort of thing that's lead to many news businesses / reporters losing their credibility and being labeled "fake news."

bowlofpetunias and tridacna like this.
  7. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    I know that it's irrelevant to you but it's junk journalism. Someone fed them that number and they reported it without even the slightest test of veracity checking = fake news.

365 * 25 is 9,125 days. Two dives a day for twenty five years without a break? From age 12? Even if some days were three or four. Entirely implausible. Makes you question the entire premise from the outset. I'd say sensational journalism - #fuggedabowtit.

8. coolwave3

coolwave3 Angel Fish

Wow that is quite a mouthful! From what I read from other posts about this, there was nothing but RUMORS and Enhanced Versions of Reality! Where was your objection then?

9. coolwave3

coolwave3 Angel Fish

I watched a documentary about Rob Stewart beginning of the month and I am not part of the initial opinion giving crowd when the incident occurred. My effort remains to be as unbiased as possible. No skin in the game and I don't know any of the players.

Even Wookie stated that "the chain of evidence was broken" and he followed this from the beginning. I assume Wookie knows that for a fact? Perhaps from the PI? To what extend was the evidence compromised? The upcoming documentary might give some very compelling accounts.

Who is this insurance investigator who was on the boat when the body was recovered? Why was he there and what was his role?

It's one thing to find the body and notify the coast guard to extract/recover it and quite another for divers untrained in forensic recovery unintentionally (or intentionally??) tamper with evidence.
    I remember in the documents that there was a radio transmission where they announced that they are doing forensics on the boat before the coast guard got there! Who was the person/persons qualified/trained/authorized to conduct any forensics? Is that why the medical examiner is so beside himself?

A lot of blame was assigned when the story first broke. Now, with this coming out, I am not sure what to make of it. Tampering with evidence is a serious offense and tampering they did: 1. illegally recovering (rather than just locating) the body, 2. conducting unauthorized "forensics" on the boat without the ME present.

What else happened on the boat?

BTW, did the coast guard ever publish their report? Maybe Wookie has it since he mentioned a "report" where more details are listed.

Lots of questions...

10. Wookie

Wookie Secret Field Agent ScubaBoard Business Sponsor

As of today, the Coast Guard report has not been released. It was awaiting 2 signatures. One of the signatures is from a party to the suit, so they are obviously not signing. The other is from a government organization who doesn't want to sign someone else's report.

According to a person on the boat during the recovery (I don't use names because I don't have permission to speak for them) they called the coast guard as soon as the body floated. The body was not boated until some time later. The coast guard was there within a time unit measured in "seconds", like within 30 seconds later.

I speak to the same folks Osbourne did, although I had no idea who Osbourne was, only that there was a documentarian making a documentary.