Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer:
Also, any suggestions for calculating exposure suit lift at depth? I had no idea what to put in this cell for my 7 mm wetsuit and 6/4 mm hooded vest. Thanks!

Actually, neoprene compression at depth and loss of buoyancy has very little (if any) effect on how much lead/lift do you need. Aim for neutral buoyancy at 3m (10feet) with empty tank. This usually equals being somewhat negative in the beginning of the dive (-delta).

Why are there two spreadsheet files? They seem the same to me.

I came out a little light. Maybe I'm an airhead.

But this cell has enormous influence for those with a flooded drysuit, correct? Good to know about the neoprene, though.

I entered the numbers I dive with and the calculator came back with my tested and confirmed weight to the pound! Nice job. This calculator is a keeper. I am going to transfer it to my PDA for times when I change configurations at the dive site.

Nice spread sheet. As one person said there needs to be a place for regs but there are other entries as well that would be nice to have.

My suggestion would be have the following entries:
Head Weight
Tank boyancy empty
Air weight
Backplate
Bands/Manifold
Regs
Lights
Misc - Reels, Argon bottle, etc.

To keep things clear for the calculations in part 2 - you could lump BP, bands, manifold, lights, and misc into a fix weight gear and just show those items that would have a bouyancy shift (head, tanks, suit) plus lead calc.

sasscuba:
Cannot open on MAC. I need excel....anyway to email it or cut, copy and paste it here? Interested in reading it. Thanks.

Any file that ends in .xls is an excel spreadsheet. The format is exactly the same.

Edit: I misread your post. You are on a Mac and need Excel. That makes sense. I move between the platforms all the time with no problem except for the fact that Excel on Mac costs WAY too much. There is some cheap*ss software that will work and probably some freeware, too.

Scared Silly:
Nice spread sheet. As one person said there needs to be a place for regs but there are other entries as well that would be nice to have.

My suggestion would be have the following entries:
Head Weight
Tank boyancy empty
Air weight
Backplate
Bands/Manifold
Regs
Lights
Misc - Reels, Argon bottle, etc.

To keep things clear for the calculations in part 2 - you could lump BP, bands, manifold, lights, and misc into a fix weight gear and just show those items that would have a bouyancy shift (head, tanks, suit) plus lead calc.

I guess I can just rename BP in to fixed weight, which will include all the hardware not changing weight/buoyancy over time/depth.

Head weitght and empty tank buoyancy (as well as full tank buoyancy) are already included. IMHO it's easier to find empty/full tank buoyancy, than to calculate air weight.

When somebody needs to use argon bottle and need to include it'ss buoyancy in the calculations they probably already know very well what lift/weight they need :))

But thanks for suggestion!

Do the lumping only in part 2 but allow individual edits in part 1. The reason I say this is because for instance switching back and forth between single and doubles. (ie no bands or manifold) then I can just zero the entry. Also it will give people an idea of what their gear weighs

Also I like how you have example tanks. You could do the same for other gear just to help people along.

I do not mean to be so picky - the software developer in me is coming out. You really do have a nice tool that with a few changes would make it even better.

BTW I noticed that the numbers for the air weight for a HP80 and AL80 are different. The same between a HP120 and a LP120. They should be the same. In a previous discussion people noted that the weights being supplied by the manufacturers are not consistant. So one should take all of the numbers with a grain of salt.

Finally, contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. He is always trying to teach people on Scubaboard how to balance their rig. This is a great tool for it. I would even so far as to ask the mods to make this a sticky.

Scared Silly:
Do the lumping only in part 2 but allow individual edits in part 1. The reason I say this is because for instance switching back and forth between single and doubles. (ie no bands or manifold) then I can just zero the entry. Also it will give people an idea of what their gear weighs

Also I like how you have example tanks. You could do the same for other gear just to help people along.

I do not mean to be so picky - the software developer in me is coming out. You really do have a nice tool that with a few changes would make it even better.

BTW I noticed that the numbers for the air weight for a HP80 and AL80 are different. The same between a HP120 and a LP120. They should be the same. In a previous discussion people noted that the weights being supplied by the manufacturers are not consistant. So one should take all of the numbers with a grain of salt.

Finally, contact Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. He is always trying to teach people on Scubaboard how to balance their rig. This is a great tool for it. I would even so far as to ask the mods to make this a sticky.

I will add an extra line for manifold/bands to the spreadsheet and upload it later today with the same filename.

As you noticed the "air weight" (change in buoyancy) is different between same volume cylinders. One reason is the actual data from the manufacturers that varies. The other is that the buoyancy of an empty AL tank was measured actually at 500PSI. In case of AL80 thats about 13cu.ft. of air, or about 1# (1 cu.ft. of air is 0.0807#).

But also keep in mind that our buoyancy fluctuates with each breath we take about 1#, which is also not included in the calculations. Actually a diver in good shape can increase his/her buoyancy by more than 10# by taking a deeeep breath (well, now you have to hold it :))

I would like very much to see other's real data on buoyancy, especially wet/dry suit data. An average person is neutrally buoyant in salt water (we are 85% water anyway).

So, for me
5'8", 160#. Rather skinny. In 6.5mm wet jumpsuit (one piece) - 16# positive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom