Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi: Do you still have this spreadsheet? The link doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to decide on a BC and thought this might help.

Thanks.

Great tool! Works in excel.

Entered my info from my last dive (during which I was properly weighted), and it correctly predicted the amount of weight I was wearing.

BTW, I just uploaded an updated version, which can calculate lift for both weight integrated (lead on rig) and non-integrated (weight belt) BC. There are some substancial differences between the two.
Could someone please explain why the ‘lead on a rig’ is substantial different factor than integrated?

Could someone please explain why the ‘lead on a rig’ is substantial different factor than integrated?

Hi,

with weight-integrated BC's you put the lead on the rig - as opposed to the belt around your waist with non-integrated BC's.
That makes the rig heavier and requires more lift for the wing (you don't want BC to sink when you take it off...).

BTW, I published the spreadsheet on google docs
Google Docs - Universal BC/wing lift calculator

Hi,

with weight-integrated BC's you put the lead on the rig - as opposed to the belt around your waist with non-integrated BC's.
That makes the rig heavier and requires more lift for the wing (you don't want BC to sink when you take it off...).
I’m not quite following, it seems irrelevant. Removing an integrated, one would drop it? I have integrated and sure not planning to let go of it.
And it is not changing anything with a yes or no.

Also, I’m not quite getting what/how to include gear.
Do I pile everything I’m carrying on a scale and that is my rig?

Mahalo, really appreciate this thing, If I can just figure out how to use it :D.

I often leave the BC floating in the water while I'm putting the fins on. The weight integrated BC with the lead on it requires more lift to stay in float than a non-integrated BC (when I have the lead on my waist).

It's a matter of preference, which type to use.
To add or modify equipment you change input area #1 (blue)
(positive values - for non buoyant stuff, negative - for buoyant (floating) stuff.)

I usually use the "light" field for extra equipment - it does not add to the rig weight.
The spreadsheet is designed with the following goals:

- keep the rig floating on the surface (by itself)
- keep a fully geared diver floating on the surface with the head above the water
- compensate for any negative change in buoyancy while underwater
- be neutral at safety stop

I hope this clears things up, pm or email me if you have any further issues.
Thanks for the feedback!

I’m not quite following, it seems irrelevant. Removing an integrated, one would drop it? I have integrated and sure not planning to let go of it.
And it is not changing anything with a yes or no.

Also, I’m not quite getting what/how to include gear.
Do I pile everything I’m carrying on a scale and that is my rig?

Mahalo, really appreciate this thing, If I can just figure out how to use it :D.

This is a very nice spreadsheet. Enlightening, to say the least!

One observation: the sample configuration with just 5# of ditchable weight will not cause the diver to become positive at any depth or tank buoyancy other than 3m with an empty tank where the diver would be 5# positive. If the BC fails, the diver will have to swim up and will not have enough buoyancy on the surface to keep his head above water. The only solution would be to ditch the BC and let the wetsuit support the diver.

I need to think about this. Maybe the stainless steel backplate and steel tanks aren't always the best way to go. I seem to recall from training that the idea of ditching the weight belt was to cause the diver to ascend, no matter what.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom