Info The "Ultimate" wing lift calculator :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, does anybody got a good weight system for diving without a wetsuit? I cant seem to find any. Any feedback much apriciated.

Stick Diver

Hey, does anybody got a good weight system for diving without a wetsuit? I cant seem to find any. Any feedback much apriciated.

Stick Diver

Not sure what diving w/ or without a wetsuit has to do with your weight system except for the subtraction of weight w/out a suit but there are two systems on this page that may be what you are looking for.

BC System Weighting | Halcyon Dive Systems

Hi, It's a nice spreadsheet. One question: where does the buoyancy of the body (beside the above water head) come in? Are you assuming we're all neutrally buoyant?

Adam

Thanks for the comment!

Body buoyancy is a constant value, not varying with depth. For most people it very close to 0 - this depends on body composition (fat/muscle), fresh/salt water dive, breathing pattern.

If you know you body buoyancy it can be added/subtracted to/from the backplate weight.
This way the formula will calculate whether you need an additional weight to dive.

Though IMO when people have trouble with descent it has more to do with breath holding and kicking up than with body composition..

Thanks for the comment!

Body buoyancy is a constant value, not varying with depth. For most people it very close to 0 - this depends on body composition (fat/muscle), fresh/salt water dive, breathing pattern.

If you know you body buoyancy it can be added/subtracted to/from the backplate weight.
This way the formula will calculate whether you need an additional weight to dive.

Though IMO when people have trouble with descent it has more to do with breath holding and kicking up than with body composition..

I think there are differences in body buoyancy from person to person as we see people diving with different weights with similar gear and experience. Since the body buoyancy does not change with depth it will affect the amount of weight we need but not the wing size, correct?

Adam

When buoyancy is different enough to be significant, it is more likely that one will need a different backplate and wing just because his/her size. As far as the amount of lift goes +-2# should not have much impact.

Whew! I took one look and immediately felt intimidated by the complicated wording. Is there any way to use every-day language for those of us who are not engineering-minded? How about something for really SIMPLE people? That might be much more inviting.

Here's what I did to determine exposure suit buoyancy (two techniques).

I went to the bottom of a pool (12 ffw), wearing a weight belt. I removed my BC. I had extra weights on the bottom of the pool. Since I was positive, I added weights to my belt and put it back on. I adjusted until I was neutral in my wetsuit. I think this works well. Since I was using a non-BP/W at this time, I only needed to account for empty buoyancy of my cylinder. My 5-mil suit needed 9# to be neutral. I'm 6'0", 200#, reasonably fit.

Second technique: using the same BC, I have my weight determined for the end of the dive (24# in my drysuit with polartec undergarment and AL80). I subtract 4# from my lead requirement for estimating drysuit buoyancy: 20# in this case.

Hope this helps.

Bri

Back
Top Bottom