The untold story of the daring cave divers who saved the Thai soccer team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can thoroughly recommend the book 'Against all odds' by Challen and Harris, it's a great read. The 'Speaking Sidemount' podcast is also a great discussion.

There's also some TV coverage and interviews on YouTube. One has the Thai commander who spoke in awe of the Brita and how quickly they moved through the caves, and how much the Seals struggled in comparison. John Volanthen and Ric Stanton, who found the boys, and the two other British divers, Chris and Jason (I think) who also dived the boys out. On of the TV shows includes the American guys that did the equipment with the positive pressure masks, which were the critical piece according to Harris. And the Thai pump crew that were shifting the water out.

..........One issue I heard which may not be true. Is whilst the Australian diplomatics went to great lengths to ensure their citizens where protected from prosecution if the rescue was unsuccessful. The UK foreign office made no such efforts, which as a British citizen is extremely worrying.

From what I've read the Brits didn't need immunity. It was Dr Harris that was sedating the children and approving them to dive, so he carried the negligence risk. If any children died due to sedation error it's manslaughter. The Brits simply had to trust his judgement and his doses for the pop-up shots, so they had no criminal culpability.

Also the vertical shaft that goes straight down to 110m showing the 30m (close) and 40m (distant) habitats we put in there.
View attachment 583788

View attachment 583789

Thanks for sharing @Dr Simon Mitchell.

I love those pics of your habitats !
Are they industrial chemical containers that have been inverted and access cut into the bottom ? That would be a novel use for them. And a bit cosy.

I can see how the bouys would balance the habitats mid-water column, but that would need adjusting every time someone climbed in or out ...

Sorry for going off topic ...

Are they industrial chemical containers that have been inverted and access cut into the bottom ? That would be a novel use for them. And a bit cosy.

I can see how the bouys would balance the habitats mid-water column, but that would need adjusting every time someone climbed in or out ...

Sorry for going off topic ...

Hello Umuntu,

Yes they are some sort of liquid container with the bottoms cut out. They serve multiple purposes, including containers in which gear was freighted over from Oz.

The buoys are only to make them neutral for maneuvering them into the cave. They are actually anchored and filled with gas so are seriously buoyant once deployed properly. I have uploaded a light painting stitch that shows that part of the shaft in brighter light (I learned this technique from the master (Pete Mesley) and am still getting the hang of it). In that image you can make out the black anchoring lines on the 30m habitat that are attached to bolts drilled into the rock. There were habitats at 40, 30, 17 and 7m.

Yes, very cosy but necessary! The deepest I did was 125m with 3 hours of deco which I did all in water rather than use the habitats, but I have to say that much longer than that in 6 degrees (even with suit heating) you would have to seriously consider using the habitats. The shallower ones were inflatable bags (see the other uploaded picture) that were a bit more spacious. Lots of stuff going to this habitat including suit heating cable from surface, voice comms from surface, a buzzer cable (another back up form of comms). You can see some video showing a short segment of getting one of the deeper habitats into the cave, followed by some commentary from Harry and Craig during their 4 hours in the 7m inflatable and more roomy habitat here:

Simon M

Habitats_1.jpg

16m habits.jpg

For those interested in more insights into this event, I have just read Rick Stanton's recently published book Aquanaut.
It is very well written and I would recommend it. John Volanthen also has a book out about it.

From what I've read the Brits didn't need immunity. It was Dr Harris that was sedating the children and approving them to dive, so he carried the negligence risk. If any children died due to sedation error it's manslaughter. The Brits simply had to trust his judgement and his doses for the pop-up shots, so they had no criminal culpability.
Wow.
He has to be very confidence with his experience and judgement. I would imagine a lot of medical personals would not like to take such a risk in a foreign country.

Wow.
He has to be very confidence with his experience and judgement. I would imagine a lot of medical personals would not like to take such a risk in a foreign country.

Interesting you mention that in reply to ToneNQ's comment from over a year ago.
You were right to suspect it odd, and in fact there is an explanation about the actual situation on the ground in his book - but of course it must have been confidential at that time....

It was a good news story which cheered me up when I followed it on ScubaBoard back in 2018.
It cheered me up reliving it again through this book, which also addresssed a lot of the questions that were raised on these forums at that time. For those who've had it tough through this pandemic, I think it was a perfect time to release this book.

Hello,

The article I mentioned that describes the anaesthetic process in detail and also some testing of the full face masks used with particular emphasis on their ability to maintain constant positive airway pressure has just gone freely available on PubMed

I have also attached it to this message.

The anaesthetic story is fascinating, and many of you who might have been considering FFMs will find it interesting.

Simon M

Attachments

• Anaesthesia in the Thailand cave rescue.pdf
    4.8 MB · Views: 204
Hello,

The article I mentioned that describes the anaesthetic process in detail and also some testing of the full face masks used with particular emphasis on their ability to maintain constant positive airway pressure has just gone freely available on PubMed

I have also attached it to this message.

The anaesthetic story is fascinating, and many of you who might have been considering FFMs will find it interesting.

Simon M
Okay, now I'm confused. There were previous articles claiming Ocean Reef FFM's were used, and the ocean reef masks were clearly seen in some photos/videos. The study says it was Divator masks instead? Was the study simply done on something other than what was ultimately used?

Okay, now I'm confused. There were previous articles claiming Ocean Reef FFM's were used, and the ocean reef masks were clearly seen in some photos/videos. The study says it was Divator masks instead? Was the study simply done on something other than what was ultimately used?

Hello,

Our study article is correct. The Divator mask was provided by Richard Harris himself who is an author on the paper. A variety of masks were tested on children at a local school prior to the rescue and photos or video of an Ocean Reef FFM may have emerged in that context. The Divator mask was used for the rescue.

Simon M

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom