The V Weight Flip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying:
Turns out, what it wants to do is get me on my back, and fast. But not to just turtle over to one side or the other... oh no. It wants to flip me headfirst like I'm doing a summersault before leaving me staring up at the surface.

Did I misunderstand? Was the V weight supposed to be strapped to my legs or something? Or is it just a case of drastic overweighting?

This seems to be a fairly common problem with doubles from what I've seen. I think it really depends on your center of gravity depending upon how your body is built and what type of doubles you use.

I tried a v-weight as well but had to go back to a weightbelt because I was just too head heavy also.

kramynot2000:
This seems to be a fairly common problem with doubles from what I've seen. I think it really depends on your center of gravity depending upon how your body is built and what type of doubles you use.

I tried a v-weight as well but had to go back to a weightbelt because I was just too head heavy also.
This is the main reason I've stuck with my weight belt. In my single tank, I am mounting my steel tank right at the break of the crown but when I still what my buddy calls 'busy fins' I flip head-over-teakettle (although mine's not as fast as evidently the original poster described). And that's in a single tank with a weight belt! In an AL80 I'm capable of mounting the tank so that I trim out, oddly enough.

Now that I'm building up a set of doubles (72s) I'm really really hesitant to go with a channel weight of any sort for this reason - I've heard that doubles make a diver more head-heavy than ever, and I'm already head-heavy in my single......... :11:

This is diving dry with 8lbs on the belt, neoprene drysuit (non-crushed), and 6# standard steel plate. I get the same results with 6lbs on the belt and my 7mm wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom