The Vance Harlow Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GotAir

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR. go to the boonedocks then go 40 more miles, thats where i live! and the only LDS in my area sells only Dacor, do I have to say anymore! I'm really thinking of doing my own service work on my equipment. has anyone read the book by vance and what do you think of it and is there other books better.

Mike

It's well worth the $50.00 even if you decide not to service your own gear. A search would show numerous recommendations. I have never seen a complaint. It will provide an understanding of your gear that will get you started. There are also a number of folks on this board that will help when more detailed info is needed.

Absolutely top-drawer stuff. I have both that one and the Oxy Hacker book and both are great reads.

If you're a diver - as opposed to the occasional underwater visitor - Harlow's books should be on your "must read" list. Sooner or later knowing how this stuff actually works will be important to you. In the meantime its still very interesting.

Steven

I agree.

IMHO if you're a diver you absolutely need to know how this stuff works. Even if you never actually want to rebuild your own regs, knowing how they work will let you know if the "little problem" you experience is really little, or something that could kill you if you don't take care of it immediately.

Genesis,
Any suggestions for newbies interested in doing their own repair? I have my LDS do my servicing - 1) because of warrenty issues 2) my inexperience with regs and 3) the fear that I could really screw up the reg and get myself in real trouble. I also only have 1st stage and two regs, so I'm not quite ready to invest the couple hundred dollars for the tools required.

However, I am pretty handy with tools and the mechanics seem pretty straightforward. What I seem to see on this board is that people go from not knowing anything to "magically" servicing their own regs. Baring a stint at a LDS, how does one learn how to service their own regs properly?

I'm not sure how you can word a response that avoids the legal issues that results from someone taking your advice. Perhaps you could speak in hypothetical terms?

Hypothetically... :D

You need to get ahold of a "junk" reg you don't care about, things like Harlow's book, and the proper tools to take things apart/reassemble them.

Then try it. Get yourself a tank with LOW pressure to "practice" with when you put things back together (a used one is a good idea!) and slowly test your work.

Repeat until you're satisfied that what you're doing works.... then its into the pool, and again, satisfy yourself that you're doing things correctly.

Regs aren't difficult or complicated, really. They do demand attention to detail though. Then again, so does replacing the ballcock in your toilet - do it wrong and you flood the bathroom! If that was to happen when you were gone for the day, it would do a LOT of damage to the house, right?

Same deal here really.... take it slow, take notes, draw pictures, and start with something you don't mind trashing if you get in over your head.

Get yourself a couple of old regulators off of E-bay or from a yard sale or something. Look for some USD or Sherwood stuff as most parts are still around for the 70's--80's models. Read the book.....Then read it again. Take notes and start building your tools specifically for regulator repairs and use them for nothing else. You will be glad you did. Good Luck, Be Safe!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom