The Vance Harlow Book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was talking to a guy I met at a ScubaPro repair clinic and he showed me a new reg repair/servicing book PeterBuilt just put out. I flipped through it briefly and it looked to be very detailed and helpful. They sell them on their website. This might be another good reference book to have along with Harlow's book.

I got both: the Harlow book and the one from Peterbuilt. Both are great and same priced.
The one from Peterbuilt is excelent visualized with many coloured cutaways for easy understanding. But its also dedicated to do some advertisement for the Peterbuilt tools.
The Vance Harlow (from Airspeed Press) is more written and textual explaining. And he did a very great job. The explanation is easy to be followed, he starts at the very beginning and he gets rid of some "legends" being told about regulators. And servicing with common tools is very good explained.
My tendencies go to the Harlow book (if you want to save some money).

PS: If you want to order the Peterbuilt book from outer US, please read my thread about "Peterbuilt" - its helpful.

Hi Mike,
As we discussed in person last week. There's a lot to be said for books on the subject and the ones mentioned are both good ones. The problems you'll run into are specific parts procurement and specialized tooling for specific regs. As a tech for several brands of equipment, I would hate to think of putting a Poseidon first stage back together without their tool to handle the "string" of o-rings, hp seat etc. or the first stage of a Dive Rite, or USD Micra etc. etc. And you need specific tooling to tune most second stages after cleaning and rebuilding them. Some of these tools are available from aftermarket sources although quality varies. And manufacturers will not normally sell HP seats, LP seats, filters, diaphrams specific to a regulator to anyone except dive shops and techs trained by their factory personnell. So, you need to establish a source if you plan to work on several brands. Keep in mind that replacing these parts with anything other than factory parts not only voids a warrenty but can expose you to litigation in the case of failure. If you will contact the manufacturers of the specific brands in which you are interested or can find a store that will allow you to attend a factory seminar on specific brands where a "diploma" is issued it will put you in much better shape. Once you have attended one seminar, you will find that most regulators are very similar in construction. Look for factory repair manuals on EBay. They are invaluable. I have some spares and setups from my forty years of working on scuba equipment that you might want to help you get started. You have my phone number--give me a call.

Jim

It's a great read. I'd recommend it to anyone that's technically capable and seeking to service their own reg, or an inexperienced regulator shopper not sure of which reg to buy.

You should go to SeaJay's website. Here is the link: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/ Click on talk, then equipment, then regulators. He has a bunch of useful information. In fact, he even has the slide show to take you step by step through servicing Apeks regs. I haven't looked at other brands, but it's worth checking out.

christopher1260:
You should go to SeaJay's website. Here is the link: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/ Click on talk, then equipment, then regulators. He has a bunch of useful information. In fact, he even has the slide show to take you step by step through servicing Apeks regs. I haven't looked at other brands, but it's worth checking out.

I agree with all, I just got Vance's book yesterday and am very impressed.

I could not agree more about SeaJay's website, it is a great resource, I followed a link from it to buy The Regulator book.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom