The very first recovery. A little graphic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary,

I don't know the area well, but my friend's house is on a bluff above the river. This area is in a bend in the river directly opposite a low island that has many houses on it. If I had to guess I'd say it's ~ 5 mile below the lake, and ~8 miles above the dam.

Dave (my friend) did mention I might be longing for Southern California on about January.....

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Gary,

I don't know the area well, but my friend's house is on a bluff above the river. This area is in a bend in the river directly opposite a low island that has many houses on it. If I had to guess I'd say it's ~ 5 mile below the lake, and ~8 miles above the dam.

Dave (my friend) did mention I might be longing for Southern California on about January.....

Tobin
Does Harbor Island ring a bell?
It is the triangle looking area. It doesn'r look like much of an island here but it is. It's about 4 miles from the lake and a little less from the dam. I just live about 3 miles northwest of there and a mile and a half from the river.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=636&y=6602&z=11&w=1
If he has lived there very long he's most likely seen us cleaning up a mess. Been quite there for a couple of years.

Gary D.

life's closer to movies than we least expect. a very good experience you are sharing. bless them souls

crispos:
Poor guy. He died because someone else screwed up and used use ropes rather than cables?

Good story Gary. What are you doing in Idaho?

I believe that under these circumstances even if it had been a rope hitting the sailor he would have been just as dead.

Gary tell me if I'm wrong.

DiverG:
I believe that under these circumstances even if it had been a rope hitting the sailor he would have been just as dead.

Gary tell me if I'm wrong.

DG,

I haven't refueled Destroyers at sea, but I have rigged many heavy loads. I've parted hemp ropes myself and have been present when a wire rope (cable) parted. Very different. Wire ropes are like springs, hemp ropes don't store anywhere as much energy.

Parting a wire rope is like breaking a stretched rubber band, breaking a hemp rope is like pulling a piece of yarn in two.

The sound a overloaded wire rope makes just as it fails makes a lasting impression.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Parting a wire rope is like breaking a stretched rubber band, breaking a hemp rope is like pulling a piece of yarn in two.

You're right. A cable that parts under high load will move fast enough to shear off whatever is in it's path. I'll let you think of what that might be. A rope on the other hand is less likely to do this. I saw a 2" rope snap and hit a guy in the shins, and thankfully it didn't break his legs. Of course, I've never seen someone drop their pants and cry for Momma so fast, but still, he was okay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom