The weirdest things I ever ate were...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792:
Basically, Kimchi is chinese cabbage, adorned with spices, then allowed to ferment, traditionally by burying it. I think I'll pass.

So it seems that some of traditional Polish food will be weird to most of you. This is:

1. fermented cabbage - kapusta kiszona
2. soup made from the fermented cabbage - kapuśniak
3. stew made from fermented cabbage and meat - bigos
4. noodles stuffed with fermented cabbage and mushrooms (wild mushrooms) - pierogi z kapustą i grzybami
5. fermented cucumbers - delicious!!!! - kiszone ogórki
6. soup made from the fermented cucumbers - ogórkowa
7. fermented milk - zsiadłe mleko
8. soup made with fermented milk and beetroot (served cold during summer) - chłodnik
9. soup made from fermented beetroot - barszcz

It's only few of things. They are really good!!!!!!
Mania

They sound like they'll give you really bad wind!!!

chippy:
They sound like they'll give you really bad wind!!!
Well - another one is fermented cabbage boiled together with pea. Imagine what's going on after this one....:vuur1:
Mania

mania:
Well - another one is fermented cabbage boiled together with pea. Imagine what's going on after this one....:vuur1:
Mania

Note to self, stay up wind!

Just reading those, I had to excuse myself and go stand by the fume hood for a moment.

mania:
So it seems that some of traditional Polish food will be weird to most of you.
Mania

Seems to me that traditional Polish food is based on pretty normal food with an emphasis on lack of refrigeration.

Do they ferment everything?

BTW, the BEST vodka I ever had was a Polish one, called Thaddeus somenthing. It was so smooth it was like drinking alcaholic baby oil.

cancun mark:
Seems to me that traditional Polish food is based on pretty normal food with an emphasis on lack of refrigeration.

Do they ferment everything?

BTW, the BEST vodka I ever had was a Polish one, called Thaddeus somenthing. It was so smooth it was like drinking alcaholic baby oil.

Remebmer we are the Northern country, we have winter 5 months every year. We have a natural refrigarators :wink: And we don't ferment everything but yes - we like it....

And BTW POLISH VODKA IS THE BEST VODKA IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To make it we have to.....yes - ferment potates!
Mania

wstein:
I am willing to try anything once, but I'd starve to death before eating one of those.

Paul

Just a quick defense for balut, it can be quite good and I liked it when I was living in the Phillipines. My wife and I still pick it up now and then from the local filipino store.

One clarification though, it is duck eggs not chicken. Best at 17 days after laying and then boiled and served warm. Its like duck soup.

Made the mistake of buying some in a bar in Manila once, after the crunching and feather removal from my teeth, I knew I had been sold some infamous "bad balut" aka old. The shots of benedryl I needed the next day proved it.

Balut is like scrapple (which no one here has mentioned yet), its best to know the person making it .

Green_Manelishi:
At the risk of being labelled xenophobic and/or ethnocentric (both of which I have been called)

There is a reason that certain countries are 3rd rate powers;
they eat bugs, scorpions, spiders, monkey brains, etc.

As a proud Scotsman, even the Haggis is not something to be eaten.

G_M

Its not like we Americans don't have homegrown weird foods: scrapple, headcheese, hog maw, rocky mountain oysters, sweetbread, pigs feet, cow tongue, etc.

Not to mention the Washington DC local news station featured special on "How to grill Cicadas" that I saw last month.

My only point being...people are people and no matter where they live someone else will always disapprove of what they choose to put in their mouth.

- Sincerely,
Kenneth Starr

Back
Top Bottom