The worst thing you have ever heard or seen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just thought of another. Same place. An old guy went around digging up blennies to watch them redig their home. Back on the boat, I heard him and others laughing because often a bigger fish would swoop in and eat the blennie. Not dangerous - just reall effin' disgusting.

Just thought of another. Same place. An old guy went around digging up blennies to watch them redig their home. Back on the boat, I heard him and others laughing because often a bigger fish would swoop in and eat the blennie. Not dangerous - just reall effin' disgusting.

Dive instructors love to feed crayfish to bass at Dutch Springs. For those who haven't heard of it, Dutch Springs is a popular training quarry and waterpark in Pennsylvania. The crayfish are doing their job hiding under rocks in the daylight. Then, some uncaring schmuck picks up a rock and feeds the thing to a fish for entertainment. To me, that's a waste of a life. It would be like sitting in your house watching the game. Your door is locked. Alarm is set. You even have a Glock within reach. Then, some alien species yanks the roof off your house, picks you up, and feeds you to another species for fun. I believe that killing for food, pest and disease control, and such is killing for a valid purpose. But, killing for fun is @$$holish. I even try to be careful with my light at night in places like Dutch and the spring runs of cave systems so I don't paint small fish as fast food.

I was taking my rescue course at our local training hole when an OW student torpedoed from ~70' in panic. He was brought to shore and I assisted with O2 deployment. EMS was called. There where two divers who happened to be paramedics that took over from there. About ten minutes later an instructor with two students surfaced.

Surface Support: "Hey did you loose somebody?"
Instructor: "No."
Surface Support: "You should come out. There has been and emergency."
Instructor: "Let me duck under and get Mike."
Surface Support: "We have Mike on Oxygen."

1st - The instructor lost 1 of 3 students in swimming pool like conditions and didn't notice.
2nd - When the diver was brought to shore, I grabbed the first O2 kit I saw. It was zip tied shut.

This was the second OW torpedo I saw that day. Both took an ambulance ride. Certainly batter practice than your usual rescue class.

When I was a dive master candidate at a shop that is now out of business (thank God), I and another guy, as DMC's, were used as CA's for a large class. I remarked afterwards "isn't that a standards violation?"

The owner's reaction "La! La! La! I can't hear you!"

I believe that killing for food, pest and disease control, and such is killing for a valid purpose. But, killing for fun is @$$holish.
For the most part, I agree. However, when I was diving the kelp forests off the Channel Islands, I would sometimes crack open an urchin and feed the fish. There were lots of urchins...

1. On a week long live-aboard, dude on the granny-line performing a major aqua-dump.

What has been seen, can not be un-seen.

While I'm sure he felt relief, I nearly drown myself laughing/breathing through my regulator.

2. Barfing through my regulator. It can be done. It ain't pretty.

[QUOTE="rabe, post: 8403623, member: 488026"
Story number two: yesterday on a different boat the dive master in training (repeat it slowly, a dive master in training) said: 'If you are on nitrox, you can stay down longer because you use less air."
He actually said it twice, in two different occasions...

This is true.[/QUOTE]

When i was fairly new diver, first couple of weeks, a DMT talked about how good it was with nitrox becose you can stay down longer. When I asked if it was due to longer NDL or less gas consumption she repeated that one can stay down longer. ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom