The Wreck of the Fantastico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaDog

Reaction score
Headed out on the calm Gulf of Mexico, nearly 60 miles off-shore to dive this wreck. Its a natural wreck having sunk in 1993 in the No-Name Storm of '93. Seven of her crew were lost at sea. She's approx. 220 feet in length, lies on her starboard side in 120 fsw. This was a three tank all day excursion so we had plenty of time. The plan was to dive the wreck with the first two tanks, then another location for the third.

Upon initial descent onto the wreck, two medium-sized blacktip sharks were spotted near the stern. But they quickly disappeared upon our arrival. The great Barracuda were stacked like cords of wood from the surface to the wreck. And I've always said that the Gulf's barracuda are much bigger that the Atlantic's barracuda. Don't know why, they just are. The site is lively with marine life, everything from giant Goliath Groupers (Is Giant and Goliath an oxymoron?) to amberjacks, tarpons, and cobia.

We spent most of the first tank just prodding about on the wreck's exterior, seeking out a viable entry point. But most of the entries are covered in cables, ropes, twisted metal and heaping amounts of monofilament.
The only viable entry point we could locate was through the cargo hold. This was a very cool spot as it is huge and cavernous. Unfortunately, there's been alot of the structure has collapsed since I last dove this wreck in '99. So pentetration was not a good idea. Still, we enjoyed the dives on the wreck due to the high volume of marine life. I can't help but mention that when I dove this wreck in '99, I was buzzed by a Manta Ray.

It was a good day of diving. It was a clear day, calm seas, and viz was pretty good at about 60 feet. The dive charter, Headhunter Adventures out of Ft. Myers Beach was descent. The boat was a 41 ft. Island Hopper that was comfortable and had some bunks below that we slept in during the 2 1/2 hour ride out to the site.

I'd recommend this dive to anyone who enjoys diving on natural wrecks, photogs, and spearfishing.

Dive hard,
AquaDog

Nice to hear other divers visiting that wreck.Its been one of my favorites here for quite some time.It has been very interesting to see the growth on the wreck since it went down.In fact we were just there today and after the seas finally layed down proved to be a great dive.We were able to pull a number of nice Gags and a very large AJ from the wreck. Aquadog , you mentioned Headhunter Adventures would that be Capt.Jeff Hunter ?

The Naughti Gal and the Gulf Business are the boats. Hey, since we're in the same area, let's hook up for a dive sometime.

Yeah man we are always looking for more people to dive the Gulf !! We usually run 50-60NM out and work out way in.Have you even done the Blue Hole aka The Crack. Jeff used to run out there quite a bit.

Good to hear from you Dog. It's hard to tell where people have scattered to these days.....

I forget if it was you or Walter that was telling me about the Fantastico last year. You know, now that I think about it, I think it may have been you. I think you were talking it up on the ride in from the Bayronto.

60 nM out is one looong boat ride. Sounds like it was worth it though. A couple of Blacktips, buzzed by a Manta, and thumped by a Jewfish in a single dive. Not a bad day at all.

We dove it today with Head Hunter (Greg at the helm). Viz was better above the thermocline at 100' but we saw groups of large schooling nurse sharks, 4 or 5 good sized southern rays, a couple of nice cuberas, some big yellowtail, and about fifty jewfish (150 to 400+ lbs.). And yes, the cargo areas are collapsing quickly. This wreck always has a weird "vibe"though. :eek:
We dove the Blue Hole on the way there also. It was a bit "snotty" with 4's and occasional 6's on the ride home.
We are going back on 7/19 to dive the Bayronto and the Blue Hole again.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom