The Zen of Solo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So last night, I was sharing a jug of wine with my wife and a girlfriend. We had just come back from a pool where we were getting the dust off our "down south" gear in preparation for a trip to Belize in a week.

My wife has been diving about 10 years, but until last year, pretty much limited her diving to warmer climates. Our friend started diving two years ago and is looking like she's going to become pretty hard-core.

Our most common dive configurations are either (1) I dive with one of them while the other tends boat, (typical of the 50 - 105' dives) or (2) they dive together while I tend (typical of the 30' - 50' dives or (3) they both wait in the boat while I do a deeper solo dive (typically 105' to 180').

Anyway, chatting last night, my young friend commented that when she watches me suit up for a deeper solo dive, she says that I go into this very calm, quiet, "introverted" state (which is pretty much the opposite of how I normally am). I said something like I am just going through my own "buddy" check, and don't want to be distracted.

At that point, my wife, who has been watching me solo dive for 25 years or so chimed in that she "knew" it was more than just that. She says that my entire demeanor changes, and I look relaxed and calm, and suspects that my heart rate and blood pressure even go down.

I was thinking about it last night and again this AM, and I think that they might be on to something. I used to freedive a fair bit when I was young and worked as a guide in the Caribbean, and it's a bit like the pre-dive ritual I used to go through then. I am almost certain that while I am diving solo, I am as mellow as I ever am.

Anyway, I'm just curious if any of you think that your state-of-mind changes before a solo dive, especially a deeper one. Or am just weird like they say? :wink:

Well, considering how messed up my normal state of mind is, it better change significantly before I splash tech or solo.

According to the rescue and DM manuals a diver who is normally chatty and suddenly goes quiet may be stressed.

Not so in this case. I find myself compartmentalizing all kinds of politics and office drama and focus entirely on my plan, pre-dive and upcoming descent check.

My SAC on most solo dives (recreational limits) is 11-12 lpm whereas with a buddy the same sort of dive will burn 14-15 lpm. Not sure if due to relaxation or just less head movement to glance at my buddy...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So last night, I was sharing a jug of wine with my wife and a girlfriend...
...Anyway, I'm just curious if any of you think that your state-of-mind changes before a solo dive, especially a deeper one. Or am just weird like they say? :wink:

I think it's weird that you have a wife and a girlfriend!...
04.gif
Actually, I'm jealous. I need to take lessons from you.

I think they are onto something. I know that when I gear up, I don't like distractions and I like routine. I've noticed that when I'm distracted/interrupted, I have to find myself mentally again in the checklist. The thing about pre-dive is that I also get myself into a state of mental preparation. Even with my mental checklist, I have to feel good before I go in and not thinking that "I left the water running"... I listen to my feelings, settle my anxiousness to get in the water. I think if divers bring the anxiousness with them from the surface, it can accompany them on the dive unless they consciously get rid of it.

So no, you're not weird, you're probably just like the rest of us... Oh wait a minute, I meant that in a good way... :shocked2:

Stu, I find the same thing happens when I am getting ready to dive -- most certainly when I cave dive but really before any dive.

It's probably why, after so many years and in spite of our aches and pains, you and I -- and guys like Shirky -- are still diving.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2014 at 10:16 AM ----------

I think it's weird that you have a wife and a girlfriend!...

Re-read his post... He wrote: A girlfriend... which signifies there may be many.

I do not think my state of mind changes suiting up but rather once I get in the water then it is calm and relaxed.

Having dived solo since 1961-62, I too have a ritual I go through. However the greatest relaxation and Zen-like state I experience is when I'm actually on the dive and focused entirely on my filming. I have noticed that if someone tries to talk with me when I go through my pre-dive check, I occasionally forget something. This is one of the reasons that during summer, when the local dive park is much busier, I generally socialize during the day and dive at night when there are far fewer divers present (often just me).

I notice the same thing before a solo dive. I go into a way different state of mind and my gear uo even slows down. Once in the water I am so much more at peace. Maybe it's the instructor thing but when diving with others there is always a bit of focus on them and their welfare. Alone I can truly relax. And on a solo deco dive it's even more peaceful.

I also become a little introverted when it comes to the suiting up phase.

There was a big thing about multitasking a few years ago, as if it were a trait to be desired, but I am firmly in the monotasking camp. I am either socializing or concentrating on my gear. If I try to do both I wind up ignoring some aspect of one of them.

...Alone I can truly relax...

Truly. There really is something to diving alone. When I'm alone, all else just falls away and I slow down and really live in the moment. There's a wonderful peace to it.

Re-read his post... He wrote: A girlfriend... which signifies there may be many.

Well, I try not to have more than one at a time. The trick is to find one that Mrs. Stoo likes too. ;-)

I guess I should have said a "friend who's a girl..."

Anyway, I'm not at all surprised at your comments. Getting one's head straight before diving is so important... for safety and for enjoyment.

And Steve, I don't know about you, but I no longer focus on the aches and pains. I focus on the bits that don't hurt. There aren't many left, so it's much easier to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom