There is just no end to the idiots.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are sweating air temps in the high 70's and low 80's with our water temps still below 50df. Add to that combination Booze, Brew, Dope and idiots like the ones below and we are in for a busy season.

Job Security to the max.

Disaster at dam averted
Posted: Friday, Apr 23, 2004 - 06:37:11 am PDT
By BRIAN WALKER
Staff writer

Avista: Kayakers risked certain death

POST FALLS -- Avista Utilities and the city are on knothead prowl on the Spokane River.

This week, they caught some.

Two kayakers in their early 20s were spotted in the irrigation canal at Falls Park and admitted they were heading toward the north channel of the Post Falls Dam.

"They were intending to shoot through the spillgates and a third guy was going to film them," said Dave Ayres, Avista's marine safety coordinator. "Some people have bigger paddles than common sense."

Ayres said the kayakers, whose names were not released, would have been lucky to survive. There are currently 12,000 cubic feet of water per second spilling through the dam.

"At that time, we had all nine gates of the north channel open," Ayres said. "If they would've gone through one of the smaller tainter gates, they would've been broadsided at a 90-degree angle by flow from a larger sector gate. There's no way they would've been able to stay upright."

Ayres said one of the kayakers was from California and the other from Oregon. He said they may be attending college in the area.

"They were argumentative with the officers who responded," Ayres said.

Avista opens the spillgates roughly from March through June.

The kayak incident is a reminder that entering the river below the Spokane Street bridge is illegal this time of year for safety reasons.

Despite the Q'emiln Park boat launch being closed, warning signs in parks and a boater safety cable, adventurists still are sold on taking risks.

"As the weather gets warmer, we'll continue to get calls," Ayres said.

The dam has been deadly in the past. In the latest incident in 1989, three boaters were killed on the south channel.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I was involved with the 89 incident. One survivor and 3 dead. Two we got fairly fast but the last kid was a couple of weeks and several miles down stream. Stupid stunt.

Here is a sat pic of the North Channel Dam.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2517&y=26419&z=11&w=1

Here is a pic of the South Channel Dam where the 89 incident happened. The dam is the short thicker line to the left of the boat docks and safety barrier.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2516&y=26416&z=11&w=1

This is both dams and the power plant in the middle.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1258&y=13208&z=11&w=1

These people need a "DO NOT BREED" stamp on their forehead.

Gary D.

Darwinian selection. If left alone they would have removed themselves from the gene pool (shallow end).

in the water.

Some people are just too dam dumb to learn and understand the dam dangers.

Kayakers (and other boaters and swimmers) can easily be trapped in the water circulation under the spillway. Even expert kayakers can be trapped, they usually stay out of the bad ones at all costs.

Divers face differential pressure dangers and are best advised to stay far away from dams.
If you think planning a tech deco dive is complex, take a look at a commercial dive company preparing to dive a dam.

The problem with idiots being removed one at a time is that they breed so dam (sic) fast. :D

The Spokane River between the Post Falls dam and the state line has experienced poor fly fishing the past few years due to fish kills caused by high water temps and low flows in late summer.
We could use the fresh chum...

If you guys are familiar with low head dams (also referred to as killing machines by many training organizations), a neighboring department had a jet skier run over the top of the dam last summer. The operator was uninjured, but he could not get out of the circulation. So, he took off his life jacket so that he could swim out of the back circulation. By some strange miracle, he actually made it.

I go back to a statement I made in a previous post, exclusive of hypothermia deaths, I have not heard of very many drowning recoveries with life jackets on.

Boater Dan:
If you guys are familiar with low head dams (also referred to as killing machines by many training organizations), a neighboring department had a jet skier run over the top of the dam last summer. The operator was uninjured, but he could not get out of the circulation. So, he took off his life jacket so that he could swim out of the back circulation. By some strange miracle, he actually made it.

I go back to a statement I made in a previous post, exclusive of hypothermia deaths, I have not heard of very many drowning recoveries with life jackets on.
PFD's or Life Jackets? What a wonderful concept. I wonder if it will ever be accepted. But then again why would man ever want to fly into the sky or ride a horseless carrage? :wink:

Low head dams are very much indeed the killing machines. I grew up around several of them. I don't know ow I survived a few stupid stunts around them.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom