There rules to tying something to the anchor line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big D:
Tom, if you're bringing up antiquities too heavy to use an 80lb lift bag, I WANNA GO DIVING WITH YOU!!!

:)

Big D
Guys i was referring to some common heavy that is found to heavy for a diver to pick up! But,...There are ways you get things in the ocean you find, that you want to keep;that ertain Auth. think they own them, after you work to research, hunt and find! The essence of my being believes, that what ever is found in the sea it is by divine guidance, and is not subject to unconstitionaly enacted laws! That is where I stand in regards to anything that is found, in any body of water, by any one, any where,at any time! Weather its gold and jewels, off a spanish galleon,or booty of any kind off of modern vessels, There is ancient, FINDERS RIGHTS!! It was good for over 5000 years or more, Than it should be no different today!!!....Than You....Capt.Tom

While in Alaska I found a 10 lb. lead fish shaped dowrigger or sinker, and I carried and attached to the anchor, as I don't like going near the surface with something that heavy using the BC for flotation (drop the object and get a trip to the chamber). I didn't have any lift bags with me and wasn't trained in their use at that time. The captain didn't mind, and I really just recovered it to give to him anyway for anchor or diving weights. He did joke about making me pull up the line though.

NJDevil:
Suppose I was on a dive and found something that I didnt think I could surface.

Are there any unwritten rules on tying the item to the boats anchor line? Its not every day your going to find something that you would want to surface that is beyond your carry capacity and if you didnt clear this with the boat ahead of time because lets face it you didnt anticipate finding anything of value of any significant weight. Whats the thought on surfacing something like that?

All I can add is use your judgment. Is it on a private or charter boat, who is pulling the anchor? Is the object cool enough to get a hernia over?

When crewing on a charter boat a few years ago, some divers decided to collect anchors and tie them to the boats anchor. After pulling 4 anchors with all their chain from over 100ft by hand I was a little tired. Then I was a little pissed when they didn't want them and chucked them overboard.

If you tie something to the line just be willing to help pull it up when the mate gives out.

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom