Thermal Protection Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aerosynth

Contributor
Reaction score
Midwest/Central U.S. is where I hang my hat. Where
# of dives
25 - 49
OK, I am not attempting to diss any particular brand here. Please keep that in mind. :)

I'm relatively new to the sport. All my thermal protection, except my boots, is Henderson: socks, hood, farmer john, step-in jacket, gloves. All are either 3mm or 5mm (except the socks of course). Maybe I am rough on gear, or maybe it's the lake conditions I have dived in... but it seems to me that my current thermal gear is not standing up to the challenges I am throwing at it. Velcro is wearing out, things are stretching where they shouldn't be. A couple more dive trips and I will no doubt be replacing at least my wetsuit and gloves. :-/

Question is, any recommendations for a good durable brand for thermal protection? Any to stay away from? What brand/style do you have that you really like, or really hate? Does price really translate to quality?

Thanks.

...if you're diving the Henderson 'hyperstretchy' suits, those seem to have a reputation for falling apart early, apparently that material just doesn't hold up all that well....too 'soft' I guess ? I've had good experiences with Pinnacle suits, but a couple years ago switched over to Waterproof suits, and now own 7 mm and 5 mm and 3 mm full suits from Waterproof...their quality, fit and features appear to meet or beat anything else out there, and competitive pricing is available from Scubatoys.

Before I switched to my drysuit I had used an O'Neill J Suit. Very nice. I used this in 45 degree water and it was great. Just got cold when I was out of the water which is why I switched to a dry suit.

Quality rubber (and that means Rubatex 231N) makes all the difference, I get ten years out of a suit (and that's a LOT of dives). In addition it does not crush as much as you descend so weight is a little less of a problem and it is a lot warmer.

I've got a couple of step in suits tailor made, standard 5mm Japanese neoprene, fabric lined inside and out, jacket zip from thigh to neck, attached hood, neck seal on the farmer john's, heaps of use, 8 and 14 years old, very warm, not much water gets in, semi dry, damage from bumping into things, a bit of stiffness but no falling apart. There are two chest neck velcro's that have been replaced twice on one and one neck seal. Two leg cuffs replaced because they are tight, go to the top of my foot and they go over the booties so cop a lot of abuse.
Varying pliability can occur with the same designated neoprene from the same manufacturer.

Did you contact Henderson about those items? Follow the "use and care" instructions and that suit should last a long time.

That suit only lasted 24 dives? With no signs of abuse, they should provide you a proper replacement.

We use only Henderson hyperstretch suits that have many 100's of dives on them from tropical ocean diving to Great Lakes wreck diving and have never had 1 wear out yet they all have some piling from rubbing on the bcd's but nothing to complain about I think they make a great flexible suit.

Quality rubber (and that means Rubatex 231N) makes all the difference, I get ten years out of a suit (and that's a LOT of dives). In addition it does not crush as much as you descend so weight is a little less of a problem and it is a lot warmer.

Who makes wetsuits with Rubatex 231N?

Want to share what brand that is? :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom