Thermalution Heated Vests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using a Thermalution vest since they first came out and really like it. I generally start the dive with it off and let myself get cold -- when I turn it on low, it feels like a warm bath.

One word of advice, however: Be very careful how you put the vest on and take it off. The lycra vest stretches but not all of the electronics inside stretch to the same degree. I have had multiple instances of loose connections and the heating pad coming unglued from the shirt. If you are careful not to stretch the vest putting it on and taking it off, this may not be an issue but no matter how careful I am I find it happens eventually.

I send it back and they repair it but roundtrip shipping to Taiwan and, if out of warranty, labor charges add up. (For this reason, I would recommend against buying used as the warranty is good for the original owner.)

As much as I like it, I am reaching the point where it's no longer cost effective to keep repairing it. I am looking at the Venture Heat vest, which has a zipper on the side so no stretching to don and doff.

How old is your Thermolution/how many dives?

It's 6-7 years old at least. No idea how many dives but it's safe to say "hundreds." First failure was within the first year -- repaired under warranty -- and subsequent failures were repaired out of pocket. I haven't used it for about a year because it's currently not working and I am reluctant to spend more money on it.

Another word of caution: resist the urge to wiggle the battery connectors when you are trying to separate them from the vest. The fine prong terminals are prone to break off. I found the best way to do it was to dry my hands and dry the rubber connectors so I could get a firm grip and pull them directly apart. A little dialectic grease on the terminals makes it easier to separate them and limits corrosion too. Also avoid pulling too much on the controller cord and the battery cords as the wiring inside the shirt may come disconnected.

This is the one reason I will never dive with one of them. If there is a problem with the battery causing it to, well, to put it lightly get really hot. Then you are definitely going to be needing a skin graft.

Obviously some people feel that concern isn't justified. But when you can purchase a heated vest and external battery pack for about the same price I'm not sure what the advantage is.

Advantage? Not having the external battery on your belt.

It's 6-7 years old at least. No idea how many dives but it's safe to say "hundreds." First failure was within the first year -- repaired under warranty -- and subsequent failures were repaired out of pocket. I haven't used it for about a year because it's currently not working and I am reluctant to spend more money on it.

My shirt malfunction after only 2 months..... Repaired (not covered by warranty) got it back 4 months later. Didnt use it until waters got cold again. New shirt malfunctioned within 1 month. Just got notified its not gonna be covered by warranty again.

The shirts work great...... I love them.... Until they break.. Its a $400/500 product with in my case a $90 repair subscription every one or two months..

My shirt malfunction after only 2 months..... Repaired (not covered by warranty) got it back 4 months later. Didnt use it until waters got cold again. New shirt malfunctioned within 1 month. Just got notified its not gonna be covered by warranty again.

The shirts work great...... I love them.... Until they break.. Its a $400/500 product with in my case a $90 repair subscription every one or two months..
Based on your location (if it is accurate), are you using underneath a wetsuit?

Based on your location (if it is accurate), are you using underneath a wetsuit?

Yes, location is accurate and yes i do wear it under my wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom