Thermo Dual Manifold with Isolation Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tamas:
What you should do is ask him to explain the reasoning behind the problems (with both DR and OMS) ..... if it makes perfect sense and has proper validity you can believe him otherwise look somewhere else for answers and specs. After all, he can base his judgement on personal preference or on kick-backs from a LDS, better yet be influenced by some silly agency that claims they know everything about diving.

Aquahump and I are in the same boat. (Actually he is my buddy, so.....) In any case, our mentor is most certainly NOT getting a kickback-we aren't getting the gear from the dive shop he is affiliated with 'cause they can't even come close to the deal a shop much farther afield is offering. In fact, I can pretty much say that he would like us to get them somewhere else since he's not too fond of the shop owner we are going through. In any case, I think if ya cut him, he'd bleed DR so him having something against DR won't hunt....

I wasn't around for the conversation Aquahump had with the Guru, so I can't say the true objective reason why he said "Stay away from the DR manifold, go Sea Elite or Halcyon....." :06:

I think I'll give him a call and see why he is steering Aquahump in the direction he's lumbering in....

For what little it's worth I've got a set of Thermo modular valves (not joined by an iso bar yet) and Halcyon manifold. I don't like how far I have to turn the Thermo valves to get them to come on - much faster with the Halcyon. I've also found that they are not holding up as well as I would have hoped - I rinse after dives, but I've already had to service 2 of my Thermo valves because they were getting difficult to turn (one is currently in need of work)

The other issue is how expensive rebuild kits are ($20 and the whole valve was only $65 new) seems a bit excessive for a few o-rings...

I do like the larger knobs on the thermo valves however...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
The other issue is how expensive rebuild kits are ($20 and the whole valve was only $65 new) seems a bit excessive for a few o-rings...
I don't get to see many valves that have been routinely exposed to salt water, so I don't know if there is a problem or not - but a $20 rebuild kit should include new valve seats which are half the business end of the valve and a fairly sophisticated bit of metal and plastic. If you're chewing up the seats that fast, you're probably cranking them down too tight.

I have not rebuilt them completely, so far I just took them apart, cleaned in the ultrasonic bath, relubed and put back together (I didn't have any service kits to work with at the time) I was concerned about them being turned off too tightly, so I've been making sure they are not all the way closed when I get them back from the LDS, since they turn nearly a full turn before coming on it seemed to be a safe idea. I've had no problems with other valves though, just the Thermos... btw - the 2 that have given me trouble are both about 7 - 8 months old, so still pretty new...

Of course this does not preclude the possibility that I've been doing something quite wrong, I just have not figured out what yet...

Thanks for the info on the rebuild kits reefraff, that's good to know...

Aloha,
Tim

FWIW, like ReefRaff, I own 17 tanks incl. 4 sets of doubles, and all of them have Thermo valves. I'm sure other manifolds work as well, and the Halcyons are well thought of by all my dive buddies (they sit the regs a bit lower than the Thermos). But the Thermos have never given me any trouble and I've been real happy with them.

I don't think you'll go wrong using Thermo manifolds...

I have 2 sets of doubles. 1 with a Dive-rite valves and manifold, and the other with thermo valves and manifold. The Dive-Rite sits lower. I replaced the hard plastic knobs.

The Thermo turns easier.

I've been told that DR no longer makes a 300Bar valves with manifold. (might be another rood reason to go with the thermo)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom