These boots were made for froggin'...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been a huge fan of OTB boots, but then they were sold. Meh. I was happy it was bought by New Balance, but then they discontinued them. The last time I checked a year or so ago, I could no longer but them in my size. Double meh.

But hope springs eternal and this past weekend I did a search for 12W OTB dive boots. The Altama came up and it was on Amazon. They were called a "maritime boot" and were "fin friendly". They even have OTB in their name. No, they don't have as many drain holes as the original OTBs, but the two per shoe are huge and it looks like they'll prevent silt and sand from getting into your boot. Alas, the caves are flooded out, but I might make a trip to Ichetucknee Springs to see how they do. Oh, you can get them in a dark, dark camo.

upload_2021-3-2_13-15-31.png

upload_2021-3-2_13-16-12.png

upload_2021-3-2_13-18-14.png

As a note, OTB is a military designation meaning that they can be worn "Over The Beach" and into battle. They are designed to drain and dry quickly and I wear them with a polypropylene liner sock to accelerate that. Quick-drying boots allow my feet to dry between dives so they aren't so wrinkly and tender when all the diving is done. This is especially important when I'm on a liveaboard and keeps my feet from developing sore spots from always being wet. It's raining today, so I might just go and play in some puddles. :D

I’m unclear as to their application: when diving wet or when diving dry? Also, I assume there’s not a lot of thermal insulation with these?

On my drysuit, I’m currently stuck with DUI turbo soles, so these are out for me. Whenever they need to be replaced (or a new suit) I’m intrigued by the idea of neoprene socks to give me insulation, and this would allow a good quality — though *very* large — shoe. (There’s no way I could make a latex sock survive. :) )

When diving wet, I have compromised with a 6.5 mm hard sole wet boot. I’ve never looked: do they make insulating neoprene socks that could be used with shoes like this when diving wet?

Or is this solely limited to pansy warm water only Florida springs divers? :)

ETA: this crossed with your second post. So it seems you are using these when diving wet. How do you get sufficient insulation for, say, 60° water?

:cheers:

I first bought a pair to use with my drysuit (Fusion) and liked them (same color mids that you got - I figured they are pre mucked)

Then it hit me that they are the perfect warm water dive-travel shoe. I can wear them for the whole trip. So I bought a smaller pair in "Coyote" color. (Now I just need to get my back fixed and vaccinated so I can actually go dive somewhere warm and clear again.)

FWIW, LA Police Gear (LAPG.com) runs 20% off sales on them every few months if you are willing to wait.

I’m unclear as to their application: when diving wet or when diving dry? Also, I assume there’s not a lot of thermal insulation with these?
I dove my original OTBs both wet and dry. These aren't as high, but I don't think they'll be prone to "pop-off".

I doubt there's any thermal protection, but I haven't dove with these yet. FWIW, the original OTBs didn't have any at all. I rarely dive dry anymore and even rarely use a wet suit. I'm OK with this. Of course, you can always wear neoprene socks with these boots while wet and fluffy socks when dry. I would still use polypropylene liner socks over either.
Or is this solely limited to pansy warm water
Le sigh. My normal "pansy" water is a 68F cave. The coldest I ever took the original OTBs was 52 off of Catalina Island in a 7 mil with no hood or neoprene socks. I was fine, but I'm built like a manatee.

On my drysuit, I’m currently stuck with DUI turbo soles, so these are out for me. Whenever they need to be replaced (or a new suit) I’m intrigued by the idea of neoprene socks to give me insulation, and this would allow a good quality — though *very* large — shoe. (There’s no way I could make a latex sock survive. :) )

When diving wet, I have compromised with a 6.5 mm hard sole wet boot. I’ve never looked: do they make insulating neoprene socks that could be used with shoes like this when diving wet?

Or is this solely limited to pansy warm water only Florida springs divers? :)

ETA: this crossed with your second post. So it seems you are using these when diving wet. How do you get sufficient insulation for, say, 60° water?
There are definitely neoprene socks that you can wear under them. You need to size the boot accordingly. I have 3mm-ish ones for wet travel and as an extra outer layer over my drysuit socks. I think I've seen 5mm ones too.
if I'm diving wet locally I have similar hard-sole 6mm wetboots.

As a note, OTB is a military designation meaning that they can be worn "Over The Beach" and into battle. They are designed to drain and dry quickly and I wear them with a polypropylene liner sock to accelerate that. Quick-drying boots allow my feet to dry between dives so they aren't so wrinkly and tender when all the diving is done. This is especially important when I'm on a liveaboard and keeps my feet from developing sore spots from always being wet. It's raining today, so I might just go and play in some puddles. :D

Have you tried wool socks? I dive with them in my chuck taylors and everything stays less pruney and smelly. Well, my feet do anyways.

Are these better than my neoprene-upper Chuck Taylors?

Are these better than my neoprene-upper Chuck Taylors?

you mean poseidons? or did converse make a neoprene version?

Le sigh. My normal "pansy" water is a 68F cave. The coldest I ever took the original OTBs was 52 off of Catalina Island in a 7 mil with no hood or neoprene socks. I was fine, but I'm built like a manatee.

I thought the :) was enough to convey the humor. I guess not.

I dive cold water, but I’m still a pansy diver. The only wetsuit I ever dive is a seven mm 2-piece, and the least amount of neoprene I will use is one of the two pieces — which I did happily in 80 degree (at depth!) water. The reason I asked about 60° is if it’s colder than that, there’s no way I’m diving in anything but a dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom