They are a gimmick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think a fin should get anything but "DESTROYED" by us here on scubaboard, if it is no good at propulsion...
Funny, many assume they don't work well in the water - they do.
As for destroying something simply because they don't fit your narrow paradym is, well, just silly.

.. For me, adding a feature to compensate for a deficient skill set doesn't make sense as long as I am able to improve that deficient skill set.
Why does one assume there is a deficiency in skill before one chooses to use them? I am perfectly capable of fining up at the gate and at the bottom of the stairs but with these fins, I just don't have to.

If they are working for you, that's awesome.
They do and it is.

Dave, my posts are not about you, they are about the fin and it's target market. While responding to your post, I wasn't implying your skills suck, but likely the target market could use some improvement which would better serve them than this fin.

The fins are marketed on the flip up feature, which does add failure points to what is typically a bullet proof piece of kit. We had a pair at the shop which failed. An easy fix for that issue, but I've had zero failures with a pair of blades since.... 1976.

All stress is carried at three points, causing wear at those points. At some point, these fins will fail.

Having used them, I can say they are no better a fin for what a fin is designed for than those you can buy for $50, but can't use as shin guards.

When I do surf entries, I can't imagine wanting to increase the surface area of my shins. Moving through shallow, rocky and uneven bottoms, I need to be able to move quickly and precisely or risk falling on my ass or getting rolled.

Now, if someone has a back issue or something that prevents them from doing what any reasonably healthy 12yo or 60yo could do, I might recommend this fin myself. On the other hand, I might also question that persons ability to execute certain dives or meet the criteria for certification.

Again, this isn't about you. Just the flip side of your opinion. :)

Funny, many assume they don't work well in the water - they do.
As for destroying something simply because they don't fit your narrow paradym is, well, just silly.

Sorry Dave :) , I have seen them used in the water....and on multiple occasions, I have had to grab the wearers tank valve and pull them along, so they could make it to a reef ledge across a mild current....

They have propulsion (maybe) for an area with zero currents, if the user likes moving at macro ( ultra slow) speeds, and does not have an interest in advanced techniques like reverse kicks.

I would almost buy a pair and shoot a demo video myself..comparing them to effective fins like DiveR fins....keep my going too long and I might :D

Dave, my posts are not about you, they are about the fin and it's target market. While responding to your post, I wasn't implying your skills suck, but likely the target market could use some improvement which would better serve them than this fin.

The fins are marketed on the flip up feature, which does add failure points to what is typically a bullet proof piece of kit. We had a pair at the shop which failed. An easy fix for that issue, but I've had zero failures with a pair of blades since.... 1976.

All stress is carried at three points, causing wear at those points. At some point, these fins will fail.

Having used them, I can say they are no better a fin for what a fin is designed for than those you can buy for $50, but can't use as shin guards.

When I do surf entries, I can't imagine wanting to increase the surface area of my shins. Moving through shallow, rocky and uneven bottoms, I need to be able to move quickly and precisely or risk falling on my ass or getting rolled.

Now, if someone has a back issue or something that prevents them from doing what any reasonably healthy 12yo or 60yo could do, I might recommend this fin myself. On the other hand, I might also question that persons ability to execute certain dives or meet the criteria for certification.

Again, this isn't about you. Just the flip side of your opinion. :)
Got it, fair enough.
BTW, when I beach dive (on that rare occasion,) I don't use them unless there is little or no surf. They will push your feet around in the flipped up position.

Sorry Dave :) , I have seen them used in the water....and on multiple occasions, I have had to grab the wearers tank valve and pull them along, so they could make it to a reef ledge across a mild current....

They have propulsion (maybe) for an area with zero currents, if the user likes moving at macro ( ultra slow) speeds, and does not have an interest in advanced techniques like reverse kicks.

I would almost buy a pair and shoot a demo video myself..comparing them to effective fins like DiveR fins....keep my going too long and I might :D
In those cases it may indeed be a skills or fitness issue. I can assure you they propel me, even in a current, even when I'm holding my lovely brides hand. But, I do know how to kick. In the water, they perform very well, even back kicking and helicopter turns.

In my opinion, speed is 98% the diver and 2% fins. I would venture to say that given your stated diving prowess, you'd do fine in the water with just about any fin.

I had never heard of these flip fins until they appeared on a Google images page when I was searching earlier for something else. There was a photo of a pair of "Stealth" model flip fins about half way down the panels of assorted dive gear images and out of curiosity I clicked on it. Many years ago I had an idea of a fin like this, but the purpose was purely for stomping around out of the water immediately prior to entering and just after leaving the water. At the time "Oceanmaster" of dry snorkel fame (or infamy) had a pair of open heel ART fins with an articulated hinged pivoting blade which by all accounts were absolutely hopeless, but it seemed to me that the idea could be extended to tipping the blades up when not in the water. Hydrodynamic drag in anything but ankle deep water would make the flipped up blades more of a hindrance than a help, so basically the thoughts were for use in that transition zone between land and water. Now for many years I have frog flopped a short distance along the shoreline when reversing out of turbulent water in my Farallon Fara Fin II spring heel fins and have become quite adept at doing a 180 turn once clear of the wave wash and moving a few more yards up the beach before depositing my gear (assorted spearfishing weapons and ancillary gear) and reaching down to take the fins off. However going in on such wave action days (surging conditions) is not so easy with fins on as you can be tipped over if you cannot maintain a close to the bottom shuffle entering the water while going backwards, and entering forwards is a no-no as you can be upended and rolled over when your fin tips are peeled up by the flow. Over forty years a diver I ain’t no neophyte and have been rolled around on shore entries more times than I like to remember when braving washing machine conditions, so having bought a pair of these flip fins (NOS) on eBay it will be interesting to see how they go.

I read the Leisure Pro Page on these and they said you click fin down before entering the water, so the in-water experience is the same as regular fins if you want to do it that way.
I would like shorter version, half as long for short legged short people (5’2”)

Earlier posts in this thread seem to be from those who found the flip fins awkward while in water that was say over knee deep with the blades up which seems to be a complete misread of what they are intended to do. If you jump down for a vertical entry feet first into the water then you are not going to be doing anything but swimming, hence the blades will be going down ASAP. For surf entries I think you put them down once you get past ankle deep, you don't wait until the water reaches your knees. I see them more oriented to water entries rather than water exits as getting out I would still do my reverse fin shuffle while keeping an eye on the waves coming in and sweeping over the sand up the incline of the beach behind me.

It appears that they are no longer made so if you want a new pair try the Fire Store where they still have sizes Large and X-Large FlipFins Stealth Max FlipFins. Also on eBay where they only have Large in Black OMEGA AQUATICS STEALTH AMPHIBIAN FLIPFINS SCUBA FINS BLACK - SIZE: LARGE *NEW* | eBay.

Otherwise, for now, the Omega Aquatics flip fins are no longer available once these remaining supplies are gone.

In fact let's see what the Fire Store has to say about them, as if anyone knows it will be them.

"The founder of Omega Aquatics, an experienced veteran of the Special Forces, recognized the need for a fin that was maneuverable both in and out of the water to eliminate the risk of military divers drifting away as they attempted to put on fins in the water while fully loaded with scuba gear and weapons.
Now, after many years in development, Stealth® and Stealth Max® Flipfins are used by Military, Navy, Special Forces and Rescue Divers in US and around the world. With a long blade as the Amphibian® model, Stealth Max® military and rescue fins are molded with a stiffer TPE compound, per specifications of members of the US Special Forces.

Stealth Max military and rescue fins have proven to be vital for rescue and Special Forces divers who are in and out of the water all day. These fins are used during airborne water entries, as in helicopter water rescue and Special Operations water jumps. They save time and energy and provide safety during diver's descent and entry into water.

Flipfins® are uniquely designed to be strapped on prior to entering the water and removed after exiting. Two-piece fin brought together by a special Aqua-Hinge™, which features heavy-duty, military grade stainless steel springs, allows the webbed blades to fold up out of the way to allow full mobility out of the water and click down with a first kick once in the water.

Stealth Max® model's long blade provides maximum thrust and makes entries and ascents significantly quicker and safer.
X-Large Fin features enlarged foot pocket that fits most of dry suit boots, Special Ops tactical boots and any regular dive boots.

Proudly made in the USA, Stealth Max® Flipfins comply with the Barry Amendment.
  • Patented Flip Fin design provides total mobility in and out of the water
  • Easy transition from walk to dive mode
  • Specially designed for Water Rescue, SAR swimming, Search and Recovery missions
  • Perfect for helicopter water rescue and Special Operations water jumps
  • Ultra-light weight
  • Aqua Hinge featuring non-magnetic, stainless steel torsion springs and locking mechanism with easy actuating release lever for hands free operation
  • Long, stiffer blades offer the unbeatable performance and efficiency with minimum effort during operations in the open water
  • Large, comfortable foot pocket with raised slip resistant thread design. Designed to fit all tactical foot wear

Features:
  • Aqua-Hinge - Heavy duty hinge featuring Type 316 military grade anti-corrosive stainless steel springs and multi-functional lock housing built to prevent blade separation during kicking activity and hands-free operation.
  • Locking Switch - Extra sturdy blade locking mechanism with easy actuating release lever.
  • Limiter - Blade limiter flanges maintain fins at optimal angle to provide enhanced propulsion with less effort.
  • Web - Designed from Soft, durable thermoplastic elastomer (TPE), the innovative web is designed to increase propulsion and reduce the load required for sustained kicking.
  • Blade Inlays - Additional TPE to increase coefficient of friction on blade.
  • Tread Design - Raised tread design with high slip resistance for walking on slick surfaces and curvature for natural walking mechanics.
  • Side Rib - Tapered design using a combination of materials increases elasticity while providing overall fin stiffness for increased power and kicking efficiency.
  • Foot Pocket - Soft TPE foot pocket, designed for fit and comfort.
  • Tip Design - Curved tip provides shin and knee comfort in walking position.
  • Frame Material - Strong, yet elastic polypropylene G3 shell to provide overall fin strength.
  • Blade Frame - Designed for strength while allowing optimal kick flex.
  • Strap Button - Molded button for custom, quick release strap assembly."

Back
Top Bottom