Thick Boots and Eddy Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

birdman27

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As with other prior customers, I got an email recently about the new neoprene products. While I am not in the market for a new wetsuit, I was intrigued by the booties and rash guard, so I picked up one of each. I went diving this weekend in Point Lobos, the ideal place to try out the thick boots. I wear a size 12, so I already have the XL Eddy fins.

When I first put on the boots, I was a little surprised at how tight they were through the arch area. I dont have particularly wide feet, but felt the pinch. However, once I got in the water and got my fins on, all my concerns were gone. These fit great in the fin, are nice and warm, and just overall work great. I ended up wearing the boots all day and had no issues after that. The outer rubber really made it a breeze to go over and around rocks, and the sole was super grippy. I might turn these into my permanent shore dive boots, even in the tropics.

I also wore the rash guard under my wetsuit and it worked perfectly.

I havent worn the 3mm boots diving yet, but they were comfortable on land.

Overall, I am very happy with all my purchases from Deep 6 and I will continue to increase my orange and black content at every opportunity.

PS On Bonaire, they loved my orange "Dutch" fins!

These boots? 3mm Deep 6 Boots

The acid test is to see if they rub your instep after a WEEK of diving multiple times a day. I love my Eddys-- and like you I got jested about the "Dutch fins" on Bonaire--but they really abraded one or two points on the top of my foot ("instep") when wearing thick shore-diving boots (in my case, Seasoft Sunrays).

These boots? 3mm Deep 6 Boots

The acid test is to see if they rub your instep after a WEEK of diving multiple times a day. I love my Eddys-- and like you I got jested about the "Dutch fins" on Bonaire--but they really abraded one or two points on the top of my foot ("instep") when wearing thick shore-diving boots (in my case, Seasoft Sunrays).

Actually, these boots. I also bought a pair of the 3mm, but those wouldnt provide enough thermal protection for Nor Cal. I probably wont be doing too much repetitive diving here at home, but I understand what you are saying about the abrasion. I was using some cheap sneaker type water shoes in Bonaire and rubbed my foot pretty raw by the end of the week. I dont think the thick boots will have that problem with the double material construction.

I hope the link gets fixed soon, I hear there is a lot of new stuff.

When I first put on the (Eddy 5mm) boots, I was a little surprised at how tight they were through the arch area. I dont have particularly wide feet, but felt the pinch. However, once I got in the water and got my fins on, all my concerns were gone.

I havent worn the 3mm boots diving yet, but they were comfortable on land.

Has @Birdman27 or anybody else tried the 3mm Deep 6 boots with Eddy fins yet? Just wondering if anyone can give us a comfort/compatibity report. My boots which caused a raw spot on the top of my foot don’t work and need something before I can use my Eddy fin again.

I also like the D6 thick boots and found them comfortable. However, they do hold a lot of water in them :) I need to figure out how to fix that.
As an FYI to anyone, I have a size 10 boot, and XL Eddy Fins. I found the fins to big so took the spring in on one side. The large may be a better choice though.
Highly recommend both.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom