Thinking About Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hqduong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the diving in Kauai compared to Maui? I done all the popular dives sites in Maui and I am wondering of what I can expect of Kauai?

More sea life? More fish? more animals?

I loved diving Kauai. Niihau was amazing. I guess you have to go at the right time of the year. Seals, sharks (including a Galapagos) fantastic vis. One of my favorite dive locations so far. The napali coast was cool, rocket (missile?) parts in the water to look at, and good wildlife. Local dives were alot like dives I have done on other Hawaiian islands... typical fish and lots of turtles.

Jeff

Personally I would go to the big island or Maui. At least when I went there the sea life and visibility were not on par with the other islands. But this depends on the time of year, conditions are better during the summer. Niihau is supposed to be very good, when it is good.

We didn't make it to Niihau, and were there in the summer, but found the diving on the big island to be superior to Maui proper. However, when you add Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai, then Maui is still a really good bet. In Kauai, Sheraton Caverns was cool, great topography, similar fish and coral to Maui, viz not quite as good. Don't think you'd find it earth shatteringly different from Maui, and we didn't care for the island itself as much, but didn't dive anywhere except in the Poipu area.

Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom