Thinking of a surf trip to Tamarindo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's always dive dive dive for us and I promised wifey that we'd do something totally different and head to Liberia, Costa Rica for some RnR before she starts a new job. I suggested surfing and laying on a beach. If the desire to dive presents itself we can rent gear and hit a shop for a dive "just to see". Anyone else a surfer/ water head like myself and have some insight that a fellow diver would appreciate? Thanks... swim

I don't know of any diving near Tamarindo. It's either further to the north (Catalinas or the Bat Islands), or way south (Cano Island). Pacific diving is not going to be like Caribbean diving. There aren't the cool corals and sponge formations. There are a lot of pelagics. I dove with Rocket Frog in Playa Ocotal, and I thought they were a quality operation. I dove the Catalinas with them, but the water was still pretty murky from a hurricane that blew by a few days before. If you want to see bull sharks, the Bat Islands is the place to go.

There wasn't much surf in Ocotal when we stayed there. You'll probably need to stay in Tamarindo or someplace South of there; google puts Rocket Frogs in Playa Coco now, with the rest of the dive ops, that's a hour's drive from Tamarindo.

Their local sites are OK, you'll see tons of fish, rays, octopuses walking around in daylight, etc. Rocket Frogs have a couple of fast rhibs that can make cats/bats trips quick but they need enough takers to pay for the gas. The main attractions didn't show for us on either trip, but they did for the group that went the very next day.

Thermoclines are going to suck. There was one dive where my computer clocked both the highest temperature I've ever seen on it, and the lowest -- outside of the local lakes -- 30C at the surface and 23C in a thermocline.

I made arrangements with the Wyndham in Tamarindo...sits on a cliff and they shuttle you down to their own private beach club (Langosta) where they rent surfboards and give lessons. Perfect place for us. Was $500 for 4 nights with the lady plus zero for airfare thanks to SWA.

There's a BEAUTIFUL surf beach called Avellanas around that area. My friend Dan runs Casa Surf and he's been surfing those breaks for years. I lived in Costa Rica (did all my diving in Playas del Coco with Rich Coast diving - check out Big Scare or Catalinas)

Watch out, it can get big there! Triple overhead bombs can sneak up on you, whapaa! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom