Thinking of Anthony's Key Resort Honduras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silvertip57

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Would like to hear from real divers out there who have stayed at Anthony's Key in Honduras. Most of what I can find on Tripadvisor and such is from folks who came on a cruise ship, did a day of diving and then left. I would love to hear from someone who did an entire vacation week or more at the resort. Comments would be greatly appreciated. BTW this will be our first visit to Honduras so other good options/suggestions would be appreciated.

Silvertip57

Thanks Lorenzoid. I haven't used the SCUBABOARD recently so I totally spaced this resource. Looks as though it is a great place to dive that is close to the area of the country we hang out in. Appreciate your help.

Thanks Lorenzoid. I haven't used the SCUBABOARD recently so I totally spaced this resource. Looks as though it is a great place to dive that is close to the area of the country we hang out in. Appreciate your help.

The native search function on SB sucks, as it does on most such forums, so I use Google. Just use the "site" function in your Google search to limit the results to SB.

I just posted a trip report on Turquoise Bay Resort in the Bay Islands section. We took a boat ride on a surface interval through AKR and it looked nice and secluded. The Roatan reef was amazing, the aquatic life limited. Lionfish everywhere. Visability was less than expected. We enjoyed it, but Cozumel is better for diving in our opinion for sea life, visibility most days, and we enjoy the things to do (and eating out) in town. If you like Coral, this is the place for you, the reef was amazing.

Roatan, Turquoise Bay Resort, Subway Review- Long, but complete

Safe travels,
Jay

Thanks Jay. Do you know if they do Lionfish hunts? I would help thin the population if allowed!

Short answer-YES!!!!!

Longer version- I don't know if it was "Sanctioned" or not, but once our DM's figured out that we knew what we were doing underwater, if we saw a lionfish, they would swim over with the kind of spear that has the surgical tubing loop on the end, put it on your thumb and pull back then release to "shoot" the lionfish. I killed 2 and missed the moby-friggin-dick of lionfish when he dodged the spear and went way back in the reef..... Call me Ishmael...I will be back.... Once you had them stuck on the end, the DM's would take it away and either cut the fins off or just stab then with another spear as a keeper. When you got one you could hear the DM cheer with joy (WOO HOOO) , but a miss drew a laugh. I'm not real sure how I could miss from literal inches away...but the little suckers are fast when they need to be. My guess is Moby didn't get that big being stupid. I really think they enjoyed introducing us to lionfish hunting as much as we did. Needless to say it was all grins on the boat after the dive. Big, toothy, ear to ear, tropical bliss grins. The big hunt was on the day that the kitchen staff went out to an island and set up a grill. They had pork chops, sea bass, and vegetables (in think ham sandwich stuff too) but the real highlight was when they cleaned and grilled the lionfish. Our group had killed over a dozen. In Cozumel, we have had lionfish ceviche, garlic and butter flat top grilled LF, and coconut crusted and fried LF...all is incredible, but the charcoal grilled lionfish was probably the best I have ever had although the location and experience probably had something to do as well. The only drawback was no beer. A very cold Salvavida (the self proclaimed national beer of Honduras) would have probably been better than....well...never mind. I'm going to keep this rated G so I don't get SATRAP slapped.

I think the wreck dive was my favorite dive, but the lionfish hunting was a close second. I can see where it would be addictive. No one had the PVC tube keepers, they just kept adding them to the end of the spear...it worked fine.

I would bet that if you could find enough divers at the resort that wanted to do a specific LF hunt dive, a boat could be put together to do that. I have seen that done in Cozumel. The afternoon dive in particular was never packed in our group. Our last dive only had 3 divers. In our travels, we have found that any dive operator will work to accommodate any reasonable request. The only concern I would have about lionfish hunting would be if a diver got stuck/stung after the kill. As I understand it, you would be miserable for a couple of days. The LF were all on shallow reefs, I'd say in the 40 foot or less range. With a decent sac rate, you could stay down for days. Our resort did have Aluminum 100's as well for no charge.

Wherever you end up in Honduras, please drink several Salvavida's and a few Monkey La Las for me.

Safe travels,
Jay

Thanks Jay! I would appear that I got lucky or someting and we are probably going to be with the SCUBABOARD group going down in June. Stampede I think it is called. I talked to the guy I have used before for Mexico and he said that had a couple open cabins left and the price is really good so the wife and I will be making the trip. The Lionfish hunt might be the clincher if I needed clinching. :yeahbaby:

I've been to Honduras four times and stayed at Anthony's Key Resort for one of those trips.

I think the best Honduran diver experience is actually staying and diving out of the West End (not to be confused with West Bay, which is a completely different, and more expensive, area). Food is better (ACTUALLY FANTASTIC), inexpensive, and readily available in the West End (so much better than an all inclusive such as AKR) and you can have your pick of dive shops that have smaller/faster boats in the West End.

I would recommend you find accommodations within your budget in the West End (again, there are lots to choose from in that area with all kinds of options across the board), and then choose the dive shop that suits you best. My personal preference is diving with Roatan Divers http://www.roatandiver.com/ as they have the fastest boat on the island I believe and they won't put more than 4 divers with a DM. Also their nitrox is the most reasonably priced on the island if that's what you like to dive. The service there is top notch also and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that dive OP to anyone.

Best of luck to you, hope you have a great vacation and choose wisely! (Don't pick one of the all inclusive resorts, you'll have a much better dive vacation that way).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom