Thinking of buying

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of buying one of these units. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of them? Which one would you recommend the scout or the sport?

Thanks,

Sean

I am thinking of buying one of these units. Can anyone give me the pros and cons of them? Which one would you recommend the scout or the sport?

Thanks,

Sean

Hello Sean,

Most public comments are listed in different threads within this sub-forum. However, I'll give you my personal opinion...

Scout
Pros: Smaller, Compact
Cons: 3.6v battery non-standard, less transmit power, LEDs are harder to discern

Sport
Pros: Easy to read display, powerful transmitter, standard batteries
Cons: Larger, more expensive

Side by side comparison: Sport & Scout

So it really just depends what you feel more comfortable with. Feel free to give me a ring, 831-384-8000 x118 Tommy

I recently borrowed my friends Sport. Didn't need it as vis was good, but it did point us directly to the boat. At some point I will purchase one, for piece of mind in case I can not find the anchor line and there is current. It will allow you to keep swimming in the direction of the boat as you perform your safety stop.

Personally I wouldn't bother with a Scout.

I agree. The Scout is too short range for any real navigating use. If you want to find something again underwater, and can leave the transmitter attached to your object and can get back reasonably close to it again on your own, the Scout will lead you right back onto your spot again. Comes in handy for relocating your pirate booty after burying it underwater, I suppose. Arrgh!:pirate: But for finding your way back to the boat in less than perfect visibility(I.E. you can't see the boat anywhere...), the Scout is far too limited in power to be of much use, IMHO. The Sport is the ticket here, and mine has led me back from farrrr away on several occasions. Not a substitute for basic navigation skills, of course, but it would have really come in handy on one of my trips when we were coming back along a wall and looking for the boat which had been moored right at the edge of said wall. The darn thing was swinging back and forth on it's mooring, and it happened to swing out of sight right as we came up to that part of the wall. We sailed right on past it of course, and had a long swim (upcurrent!:shakehead:) to get back when we realized the boat had snookered us. This was the event that caused me to buy my Sport, and I have never regretted it. Woody

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom