Thinking of Packing it in...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Short background: I was first certified in 1969 (yes, i’m old). I lost my cert card many years ago and was not able to get a replacement card for various reasons. Went to an agency that supposedly searched various places to get a replacement card and actually got some bogus card from their own certification organization. So, I went to a PADI shop, but failed to get a doc sign off for asthma. Fast forward 2 years and finally got a doc to sign off on the asthma as it’s no longer an issue. All that was last fall. Did the academics and confined water dives last November and was scheduled to do the OW dives in Hawaii In January. Fell on the ice just prior to the Hawaii trip and had 9 staples in my head-didn’t do the OW dives. Started to do the OW dives locally in a lake in cold water in May, but due to a really thick wet suit and an odd body was not able to keep the 40 pound weight belt on, eventually losing it in 15 feet of water. Was not able to recover it and join the dive.

Am again scheduled to go to HI again in October and will be within the 12 month period for the referral program. Went back to the LDS to get a pool dive in before then, but don’t seem to be getting any cooperation from them (probably fed up with me). The fee for the referral dive on Maui is $375, plus what I’ve already paid out is making the whole deal a bit cost prohibitive. After all this hassle, I’m now asking myself if it’s worth the bother, especially if I can’t get in a pool session before Hawaii. Has anyone else had a similar test getting certified and was it worth it?

Thanks!

MJS...

I'm not young either...if your profile avatar is your birth year you have only three years on me...my weight hovers between 180/185 pounds...6' 3''...

40 pounds of ballast is far too much...unless you are very overweight...with a steel cylinder...100 cu ft as an example...you should have no problem sinking a 7mm suit/5mm hood/5mm gloves/5mm boots...with no more than 20 pounds of ballast...

Another note..if your waist line is your largest body circumference...you should not be wearing a waist belt...unless it is supported by suspenders...wear integrated weight pockets...and either a modular or static weight pocket integrated BCD system...if you do manage to get to depth and loose your belt...you will be in an immediate un-controlled ascent situation...

With the exposure protection I have mentioned...I would go into the water with two 6...and two 2 pound trim weights...I prefer soft shot packs...16 pounds total...my dive partner would only be using 12 pounds with the same exposure protection...

Your former instructor(s) have been very badly neglecting the fine art of getting you neutral...It's been said many times...scuba diving is 90% peak performance buoyancy...and 10% everything else...

I dive regularly with a feather-light rebreather...dry-suit...20 pounds of shot pack ballast...

Not unlike myself...your at a stage in your life where want out-strips need...

If there is a want...there is a way...as long as you stay safe...

The very best...

Warren

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. For the record I’m 5’10” and weigh in at about 185 lbs. I’m a bit over weight but certainly not obese. Problem is waist is larger than hips. The wet suit I was using was 2 piece kind of thing with a jacket over the main suit so, some of it was probably 14mm. I was warm in the 48 degree water. And yep losing it at depth would not be a good thing. I am frustrated with the process and the lack of support from the LDS. It’s been a long time since my original certification and since my last dive. Shoot I had never even worn a BCD until my confined water dives.........

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. For the record I’m 5’10” and weigh in at about 185 lbs. I’m a bit over weight but certainly not obese. Problem is waist is larger than hips. The wet suit I was using was 2 piece kind of thing with a jacket over the main suit so, some of it was probably 14mm. I was warm in the 48 degree water. And yep losing it at depth would not be a good thing. I am frustrated with the process and the lack of support from the LDS. It’s been a long time since my original certification and since my last dive. Shoot I had never even worn a BCD until my confined water dives.........

Oh dang, you'll be FINE in Hawaii!! They'll put you in a 3mm suit, with maybe 8 pounds of lead (maybe less... a few pounds in each side of a weight integrated BCD, no belt necessary.) You'll get to fall off.... excuse me, I mean giant stride off... the boat into the water. And then visit all the pretty fish and other critters.

When you get done with that, check out the Caribbean. The water is warmer (most places no wetsuit required in the warmer months), most location are cheaper, and the flight from Oregon is about the same distance or closer than flying to Hawaii.

You might even do the open water dives as shore dives, no falling needed. Turtles are easy to see, lots of fish, easy diving.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. For the record I’m 5’10” and weigh in at about 185 lbs. I’m a bit over weight but certainly not obese. Problem is waist is larger than hips. The wet suit I was using was 2 piece kind of thing with a jacket over the main suit so, some of it was probably 14mm.

Thanks for the height/weight/wetsuit details. You were totally over weighted.

Absolutely way too much lead at 40 lbs. your instructor should learn how to teach diving. Your instructor was dangerously neglectful . At your weight of 185 your lead requirement should be no more than 20 -22 lbs in fresh water, add 4 to 6 lbs in salt, wearing a 7mm wetsuit. Your BCD is not an elevator with up and down buttons. Learn to do proper buoyancy check and completely exhale to descend. Once you start to sink do not immediately inhale a big breathe, sip a bit and let increased pressure compress suit to displace less water and lose buoyancy . Get proper fitting 1 piece back zipper suit , easier to get on and off. At your height,weight I would think a large shoul fit correctly. Go to a reliable LDS and try on a large and maybe a medium. I am 5' 10 weigh 176 wear a medium.

Absolutely way too much lead at 40 lbs. your instructor should learn how to teach diving. Your instructor was dangerously neglectful . At your weight of 185 your lead requirement should be no more than 20 -22 lbs in fresh water, add 4 to 6 lbs in salt, wearing a 7mm wetsuit. Your BCD is not an elevator with up and down buttons. Learn to do proper buoyancy check and completely exhale to descend. Once you start to sink do not immediately inhale a big breathe, sip a bit and let increased pressure compress suit to displace less water and lose buoyancy . Get proper fitting 1 piece back zipper suit , easier to get on and off. At your height,weight I would think a large shoul fit correctly. Go to a reliable LDS and try on a large and maybe a medium. I am 5' 10 weigh 176 wear a medium.

Criticizing instructors for overweighting their students is a popular sport at ScubaBoard. Rivaled only by the sport of seeing whose pony bottle is bigger

I think it's quite a stretch to call out an instructor as "dangerously neglectful" from 2000 miles away based on what little we know

I note that your teaching experience, while extensive, has predominantly been in warm water areas. Dive shops in cold water areas, teach in cold water. In Minnesota it is not unusual for students' first open water dive to be in a 7mm two-piece wetsuit, often something like a farmer john with a jacket because these arrangements are easier to fit people into in a rental environment, as was done here.

LIS is a warm water area, compared to the PNW or Brainerd or Superior

The subject problem is that the OP was using a cheap nylon weight belt that slipped off, and the instructor was unwilling to take the time to work through this problem. Using 36 or 30 or 28 or 24 or whatever the exact amount of weight you believe was the right amount would not have changed anything, because even an experienced diver would have trouble keeping a belt on with 20 pounds unless they have hips bigger than their waist.

Carrying the lead in a sensible way, on the other hand, will help matters considerably even if the amount of weight being carried isn't quite right.

Criticizing instructors for overweighting their students is a popular sport at ScubaBoard. Rivaled only by the sport of seeing whose pony bottle is bigger

I think it's quite a stretch to call out an instructor as "dangerously neglectful" from 2000 miles away based on what little we know

I note that your teaching experience, while extensive, has predominantly been in warm water areas. Dive shops in cold water areas, teach in cold water. In Minnesota it is not unusual for students' first open water dive to be in a 7mm two-piece wetsuit, often something like a farmer john with a jacket because these arrangements are easier to fit people into in a rental environment, as was done here.

LIS is a warm water area, compared to the PNW or Brainerd or Superior

The subject problem is that the OP was using a cheap nylon weight belt that slipped off, and the instructor was unwilling to take the time to work through this problem. Using 36 or 30 or 28 or 24 or whatever the exact amount of weight you believe was the right amount would not have changed anything, because even an experienced diver would have trouble keeping a belt on with 20 pounds unless they have hips bigger than their waist.

Carrying the lead in a sensible way, on the other hand, will help matters considerably even if the amount of weight being carried isn't quite right.[/QUOTE

Experience in cold water here, south shore Long Island can be less than 50 degrees, ice dives, raise sunken boats in November, December. That should qualify a s experience in cold water.

@MJS1946,

Having a solid open water instructor can make or break you. If you are overweighted, then things are just sooooo much harder. If you are willing to travel, take a little vacation that includes certification/training, I would highly recommend heading to Ft. Lauderdale with Ryan @custureri for some nice shore dives. If you decide to go that route, you'll be posting a positive experience here. I promise you that.

Kosta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom