Thinking to get a replacement for my X1 ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My Liquivision X1 has died, and I'm not getting any response from LV to my queries on getting it fixed (or if it's even fixable). I suspect now that they're owned by a bigger company the customer service isn't going to be what it used to be. So perhaps it's time to see about a replacement computer. I already own a Petrel, and it's a nice enough backup computer, but I'm not nuts about what information gets displayed, and where. Also, I prefer the size and layout of the X1 and would like to replace it with something smaller than the Petrel if possible.

So if you were looking for a suitable replacement these days, what would you recommend. Some features I'd want ...

- bright display, such as the oLED on the X1
- relatively small size, wrist mount (preferably easy to convert or already comes with a bungee mount)
- time of day display on the main "pre-dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this)
- average depth display on the main "dive" screen (my Petrel lacks this too)
- relatively in-depth dive log function (Petrel is pretty basic info, lacks for example, giving you surface interval since last dive)
- multi-gas computer ... trimix compatible
- prefer VPM-B or similar algorithm

I've seen these new Ratio computers advertised ... anybody own one yet, and if so, any comments about what you like (or don't) about them?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not my intention to high jack this thread, or to argue with Bob regarding his preferences, we respect both. However, I would just like to clarify that the OC Rec mode, OC Tec mode and OC/CC mode on the Petrel and Perdix have a user configurable row where the diver can include the information important to them such as a clock with the time of day, average depth, max depth, temperature and timer just to name a few. The OC Rec mode also will show your surface interval.

respectfully Lynn

It's not my intention to high jack this thread, or to argue with Bob regarding his preferences, we respect both. However, I would just like to clarify that the OC Rec mode, OC Tec mode and OC/CC mode on the Petrel and Perdix have a user configurable row where the diver can include the information important to them such as a clock with the time of day, average depth, max depth, temperature and timer just to name a few. The OC Rec mode also will show your surface interval.

respectfully Lynn

Thank you Lynn ... is this function available on the older model Petrels? Mine is one of the earliest available. Or is there a way to upgrade the software? I did ask these questions when I initially purchased the computer, and received little in the way of useful information. For the most part, the Petrel's sat in my box to be used as a backup since then (until now) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Go with the Divesoft Freedom. I have or have had the following: 3 VR3's, 1 NHeO3, 3 different Oceanic rec. computers, a Liquivison Xeo (love this damn little thing and it is great for scooter mounting) and a Divesoft Freedom. The Freedom is simply the best computer I have ever used. So damn easy a Caveman could do it! You want all the information then stay on the main screen. Don't care for the clutter, press one button and it takes you to screen with less information. Press it again and it takes you to even less information. With vibration, visual and sound reminders it really is hard to miss a deco stop, max depth, ascent rate, a gas switch, etc. Please do yourself a favor and check one out. I am not a dealer nor have any dealing with the company. I am just a diver wanting others to not waste money on gear.

Thank you Lynn ... is this function available on the older model Petrels? Mine is one of the earliest available. Or is there a way to upgrade the software? I did ask these questions when I initially purchased the computer, and received little in the way of useful information. For the most part, the Petrel's sat in my box to be used as a backup since then (until now) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We have always offered free firmware updates on all our products. These options were added some time ago. Here is a link to our desktop software, current firmware version and release notes:
Petrel Downloads | Dive Computer Firmware & User Manual

There is a version of desktop software for Mac and PC. If you have any difficulty, please send us an email to our info@shearwater.com address and we will get our tech support department to assist you.

Lynn

Go with the Divesoft Freedom. I have or have had the following: 3 VR3's, 1 NHeO3, 3 different Oceanic rec. computers, a Liquivison Xeo (love this damn little thing and it is great for scooter mounting) and a Divesoft Freedom. The Freedom is simply the best computer I have ever used. So damn easy a Caveman could do it! You want all the information then stay on the main screen. Don't care for the clutter, press one button and it takes you to screen with less information. Press it again and it takes you to even less information. With vibration, visual and sound reminders it really is hard to miss a deco stop, max depth, ascent rate, a gas switch, etc. Please do yourself a favor and check one out. I am not a dealer nor have any dealing with the company. I am just a diver wanting others to not waste money on gear.
Ouch, sure is expensive compared to the competition. Is the rechargeable battery replaceable when it wears out?

Who is the competition?
Petrel $749
Perdix $749
Liquivision Xeo $679
Nitek Q $399 (not really competition)

Compared to $1032 for the trimix Divesoft, that's a substantial difference. Especially if the battery isn't user-serviceable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom