thirsty and thirty feet under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp Rat

Reaction score
You know some times things just dont make sense. Here I was 18ft under water and had the worst cotton mouth I ever had. I sucked down and 80 and took a hour break and drank some gatorade between dives but on the second. Man was my throat dry. How do you combat this? I tried to carry a water bottle with me but an eel swam in it and well eel slim dont taste good in my opion. Just joken after seeing all the eels in the bottles on the bottom of the river.

I was thinkin' about rigging some kind of camelback bottle. Wonder what flavor gatorade the rock fishies like...

-kate

In another section of the boards I heard someone mention a camelback contraption that has already been designed specifically for divers. They called it a "SCUDA". Stood for Self Contained Underwater Drinking Apparatus. Had some rave reviews about it. Seems to me the URL was http://www.scuda.com

For my money, though, I invested in an Apollo regulator with a moisturizing chamber. You can buy the chamber, which fits standard 1st stages and hoses for under $200.

Hope this helps...

Corsair,

The apollo gadget you have was discussed on some other boards, but no one really had one to comment on it.

What do you think of it?

Me, I just (over)load up my SeaCure mouthpiece with Bianca breath drops and I got so much saliva going, I rarely get dry mouth.

--Michael

There are actually kits for most regulators that allows you to have a 'moisturizing chamber' which is nothing more than a peice of brass.

Apollo was the only one that I'd seen sold in the local dive shops. Wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there. Any manufacturer sites you could point me to, Mario?

So far I've only done light pool work with it. I could tell a pretty good difference after a half hour or so. I'll let you know how it does after the trip this weekend.

I'll just sit over here with the sissies :)

You just enjoy that nice mouthful of dehydration Mr. Starr! =-x

Seriously, though, if anybody has used that SCUDA thing, let me know what you think.

The dryness comes from dehydration as you know.The compressors go to great effort to give you dry air.You have to hydrate before a dive and avoid drinks like gatorade between dives.They are better for after you have finished diving.You see it takes water for our bodies to process food or anything else we drink and if you drink something like gatorade it does put minerals and sugars into your body but you need to back it up with equal amounts of water.Most people are nowhere near hydrated enough and coffees and teas and softdrinks are diuretics which draw water out of our systems rather than replace them.Take bottles of water and remember where you are.We dive in a salt environment in suits that make us sweat and in general the weather is warm.We are expending energy and breathing very dry air.It is a perfect mix for cotton mouth.If you are feeeling thirsty then you are already dehydrated.Try drinking even when you aren't thirsty,ie while getting into gear,the dive briefing,and before the dive pre-emptively.Don't forget that it also takes a while for your body to absorb the water drunk so prepare a little before time.The adverts for drinks may be persuasive but Adams Ale still is the best stuff to combat diving throat.Hopes this helps.
Cheers Big Ears,
Gasman

I'm with Gasman.... drink water when I get up... drink water before diving.. drink water on surface interval... drink a cold one or 2 after! I've talked to people that have used "that Gadget" (haven't myself) on their regulators and it helps to a small degree. But you are going to get "dry mouth" because you're beathing air that has been filtered to take all of the moisture out of it. So force yourself to glug down some good ole H2O and save the Gatorade and/or Adams Ale for after! Casey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom