This is embarrassing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I had a guy I know, but haven’t seen in a few years, come up to me today and thank me for recovering his brother 25 years ago.

I felt like a heal because I didn’t remember the incident until he gave me some of the details.

It was another one in Fernan Lake but we didn’t have an idea as to where they went. Two guys just missing. It was over a month later when we found the car in 20’ of water. It just missed a turn and went in.

I remember it now but was embarrassed when he confronted me with it. I apologized for not remembering and he was very understanding. I sure hope that doesn’t happen too often.

Gary D.

Ps: It took 3 shifts but I got in 8 hours of sleep. We had another callout but two of us were dropped from the first page. They had enough respond so we got to get some sleep. Turned out OK and they canceled. Back at it in 30 minutes.

I've had patients or families come up to me to thank me for whatever it was I did. It's rare that I remember them, even when they remind me of the incident. I always apologize for my poor memory of the details of some thousands of runs I go on a year.

To me, they were one of thousands and most of the time it was likely a routine call. To them, I was there for their crisis. Oh, well.

Here's one for ya. I met this gal (this was 15ish years ago) and we started hanging out, doing stuff ect. Anyway were in bed after the fact just kinda cuddling and I notice some scars on her forehead. I asked her how she got them. She asks "you don't rember?" Im clueless. She told me I was the one that pulled her out of a car wreck two years before. She told me about it and I clearly rember the other Pt but not her. Now thats embarrassing!

Gary:

Forget the embarassment! Anymore, I can't even remember what I had for Breakfast.

It's nice when someone recognizes you for your efforts. I had met a victim of a vehicle accident 6 months after the accident and a mutual friend introduced us. He was still on crutches. It was probably one of the most demanding vehicle rescues (non-water related) I ever worked. The vehicle T-boned another car and went over the guard rail without touching it. Landed on about a 60 degree embankment on it's side. We had to use the jaws of life over our heads a good bit, while balancing on the hill side. When he found out that I was involved in cutting him out, he hugged me with a tear in his eye. Better than any paycheck. He had a long term recovery and was never going to be the same. All because some 18 year old decided he wanted to drink. He and his date were both killed.

Toby Keith in his one song says about a soldier: "we don't do it for the money, we just do it anyway". Sums up many career and volunteer rescue personnel.

Take care!

Thanks guys.

Sometimes I get to the point where I think I’m a hardened insensitive freak that doesn’t care. I know I care but sometimes my “Forget it” safety valve conflicts with the incidents.

The 14 year-old a few days ago is still there but I still could dot describe him or even give a hair color. What I do remember is his long eyelashes. All the boys on my mom’s side of the family have had them and that’s what I remember about him.

There are a couple where I remember every minute detail. Thank god they all aren’t like that. With well over 200 recoveries I’d be in the looney bin by now.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom