This is Why I Need a Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been diving a drysuit for quite a few years in Cape Town now, will certainly not go back to a wetsuit - I don't even own one now.
From when I first got into the water with on e on I just knew it was the right thing to do, even though it obviously felt different to what I was used to.
No matter which side you dive, given our local temperatures a drysuit is what everyone should be diving.

Mine is a bit tired now, but I'm off to the UK in January so I will see if I can pick up something 2nd hand.

I'm convinced it's the way to go. It's just getting my head past the overwhelmed-by-choices stage.

I'm convinced it's the way to go. It's just getting my head past the overwhelmed-by-choices stage.

Xyrandomx you do need a dry suit. The Aster was a balmy 7 Celsius today, but visibility was up at 25 metres. Nice! Most on the Pisces boat were wet and managed 20 mins, then they waited, and waited for the dry suit brigade.

Maybe keep an eye on The BlueFlash website Grant constantly has changing supplies of second hand. If I were to do it again, Tri-lam. The cheaper the better cause they all leak from time to time. Check with Grant if you are a genuine buyer, he may be able to let you try before you buy. Rather spend money on good under garments.

P.S. A mate of mine is out from the UK next week. I'm trying to fill mid week early morning charters with Down South, otherwise I might be doing pre work long beach dives (or night dives) Let me know if you can make any days.

Last edited:
Xyrandomx you do need a dry suit. The Aster was a balmy 7 Celsius today, but visibility was up at 25 metres. Nice! Most on the Pisces boat were wet and managed 20 mins, then they waited, and waited for the dry suit brigade.

Maybe keep an eye on The BlueFlash website Grant constantly has changing supplies of second hand. If I were to do it again, Tri-lam. The cheaper the better cause they all leak from time to time. Check with Grant if you are a genuine buyer, he may be able to let you try before you buy. Rather spend money on good under garments.

P.S. A mate of mine is out from the UK next week. I'm trying to fill mid week early morning charters with Down South, otherwise I might be doing pre work long beach dives (or night dives) Let me know if you can make any days.

I know, I know. And I still. haven't got one. I was out at Sea Point yesterday, walking along the promenade. There was almost no swell and you could see the occasional fish in the kelp forest over the wall of the promenade, the water was that clear. You could also feel the cold coming off it, though.

I'm very tempted for a mid-week dive, but work is currently trying to kill me. Last push before the end of the year (I'll be in Sodwana for 6 days at the start of January). What time are you think for early morning charters? Or before-work dives? I could probably escape the office early enough at least one evening for a night dive.

Its official. I have committed to Down South Scuba that I will charter their boat next week on Wed and Fri for some mid week diving.
Early morning dives . . . 6:30 am launches out of Hout Bay (subject to weather) for two tank dives.

If anyone want's to join, PM.

Now that was a whole lot better than going to work! Crystal clear water (a little cold) and no time pressure to meet the boats schedule. Definitely going to look into early morning dives again.

Again: I need a dry-suit. Before the end of the Atlantic diving season, I swear. Kyle from Down South said it was lovely and peaceful out there so early in the morning.

Again: I need a dry-suit. Before the end of the Atlantic diving season, I swear. Kyle from Down South said it was lovely and peaceful out there so early in the morning.
Don't let anybody tell you what they think is comfortable for you. I once did a week of reef diving in the Florida Keys in a dry suit. The air and water were both in the low to mid 70's (F) and it was cloudy all week. I'd get funny looks first thing in the morning, but not after diving. I was comfortable and happy while most others were shivering.

I'm finally one step closer to actually having a drysuit. I've bought a used crushed neoprene suit. I still need an undergarment, a decent hood and to learn how to use the thing. But I'm looking forward to finally diving on the Atlantic side of the Cape Peninsula without experiencing the early stages of hypothermia.

Nicely done!

Crushed Neoprene should be warm as a start. I did my first dives with a pair of tracksuit pants and pullover. Not ideal as buoyancy and trim were a disaster . . . still it was a start.

Cheers

Nicely done!

Crushed Neoprene should be warm as a start. I did my first dives with a pair of tracksuit pants and pullover. Not ideal as buoyancy and trim were a disaster . . . still it was a start.

Cheers

Heh, Grant actually suggested I do that to start out, but I'm, probably going to buy a proper undersuit before starting the drysuit course. After a lot of indecision about what to buy, I just decided to go for it. I figure that no matter what suit I went for, I'd probably want a different one in about a year's time, once I've got used to diving in it. This one was in pretty good condition, seemed to fit quite well and the price was reasonable. So it seems a good starting point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom