This Line Stopper Is So Amazing...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reku

Contributor
Reaction score
Great Lakes + Northern Florida + Marsh Harbor
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I think I like this little piece of metal as much as I like my shearwater computers - and that's saying something.

2016-03-29.jpg

I mean literally it makes everything so much easier. I'm gonna buy like 10 more of these and put them on every reel I own...

I think I like this little piece of metal as much as I like my shearwater computers - and that's saying something.

View attachment 370645

I mean literally it makes everything so much easier. I'm gonna buy like 10 more of these and put them on every reel I own...
One came with one of my Manta reels. I'd like ones for my other reels. What is this called and where do I find them?

Lovely for wreck diving, but just like to add that I had a very bad experience with a metal stopper in caves.

I found it very hard to make a proper primary tie-off in high current as the stopper sinks like a rock and ruins your "loop". Replaced all mine with neutral buoyant plastic, much happier now.

Reactions: Jax
I found it very hard to make a proper primary tie-off in high current as the stopper sinks like a rock and ruins your "loop".
The higher the flow, the more I like weight on the line. I use half ounce or ounce lead egg sinkers for a number of my reels. I think I pay less than a dollar a piece for them at any fishing store:

71FewZaqRiL._SL1500_.jpg

I did vortex with the line stopper and a primary and secondary tie off - It worked fine for me - the weight stopped the line from flying all over the place. I will do some more testing and report back though lol. I love diving and asking 10 people what they think and getting 11 responses back! It's awesome.

@NetDoc - I might try my hand at some sinkers in the future.

Not sure when I can get that vid for you. I spread the loop with my thumb and fore finger and the weight pulls it down in an inverted triangle. It's predictable, so I don't have to guess where the line might blow off to.

Not sure when I can get that vid for you. I spread the loop with my thumb and fore finger and the weight pulls it down in an inverted triangle. It's predictable, so I don't have to guess where the line might blow off to.

That's exactly how the stopper works too - you just split the loop and it forms a triangle automagically.

Imagine this is underwater lol .... My loop is smaller but I can fit the entire reel through it so it's good enough for me.

20160329_164039.jpg

...//... I spread the loop with my thumb and fore finger and the weight pulls it down in an inverted triangle. ...//...

That is exactly what I was trying to do at JB, but "someone's" favorite perfect tie-off point is bigger than I can spread my hand while rolling off the loop.

Last April, near record flow. Tail between legs...

I shall return.

Back
Top Bottom