This place is soo dead - Does anyone really Kayak dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a little ole lady & I yak dive. Trust me, if I can do it anyone can! I do the same as Jenny. My flag goes in the scupper hole on the yak & I tow the boat with me just the same as if you are towing a dive flag. I do use an anchor at first, while I'm getting into my gear so that I don't get blown off the reef. Then I pull the anchor & go down with the reel. Course, tis a liitle different on this, the gulf side I reckon. If you put your flag in the boat, you must have the larger size flag.

^^^ make for easier slalom with the jet skis :D

I tow the dive flag behind the kayak. As mentioned above, if it is affixed to the yak the flag must be much larger. I just clip the flag/float's line to my stern.

Towing the kayak is very easy, no more trouble than towing a flag. When I still had my yak I had a small folding anchor attached to the reel.

What I do is unfurl the line to the length of the depth and throw the anchor overboard before gearing up. That way, if I drop something that is not tethered, it will sink to under the yak. Once I'm ready to dive, I toss my tank overboard (tethered of course) then slide in wearing mask/fins/snorkel, then don my gear. Then descend the line and off we go!

A sweet thing about towing a yak is that when you find something heavy (think anchor, humongous lobster, treasure chest!) you can put it on your yak and keep diving. Another is that you can put a water resistant hand held GPS on the boat and when you find a honey hole, ascent to the yak and hit the "mark" button and you can return to the site time and time again. DO put a lanyard on the GPS and clip it to your boat.

When I lived in the USVI, conch were plentiful and legal to take but you sure don't want to tow those heavy things back on a beach dive...they fit very nicely into my boat.

I sure do miss having a kayak. I sold my uber-sweet Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 in St. Croix because it cost too much to ship to Hawai'i, then I sold my fairly sweet Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro 15 in Hawai'i because it cost too much to ship to Florida. Once I find a job and catch up on a few bills, I'll be cruising Craigslist for my next plastic boat.

Good to see some interest in yak diving again...it is an absolutely wonderful sport.

When I still had my yak I had a small folding anchor attached to the reel. What I do is unfurl the line to the length of the depth and throw the anchor overboard before gearing up.

Thanks for spelling it out, this was my original plan until I started doing some 2nd guessing. I was thinking 250' reel clipped to anchor, let out depth+ and drop, go pick anchor up and have all that line to play with but not in the way.

I went to a kayak clinic hosted by the south Florida beach divers meetup and took my Trident 13 along for it, wonderful boat, nice & stable with spot for tank & everything. Usually fish out of my hobie revo, which I've hookah dived from but never scuba.

I was thinking 250' reel clipped to anchor, let out depth+ and drop, go pick anchor up and have all that line to play with but not in the way.

Ummmmm.................I think you'd be a lot better off by simply unreeling your line as you descend rather than unreeling it with the anchor. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean but that method sounds like a major entanglement hazard.

---------- Post added July 2nd, 2013 at 05:54 PM ----------

If you're talking about leaving the boat anchored & hooking your reel to the anchor line so that you can find your way back to the boat?? still not a good idea. The line will get all hung up in the reef or yourself. You're better off towing it. Just my 2 psi.

I still don't understand why you would want to do that as opposed to just reeling in & out as needed on descent. When I pull my anchor in, I have learned to be real careful so as not to become tangled in the anchor line. IMHO, you're gonna get tangled up in the line. Jenny............Debby............what do ya'll think?

I don't think that will be a problem with a reel. Tossing it in with the anchor will be like following a line down to a wreck. It will keep me in my spot while I get my gear on.

I think.. you're not a little ole lady, you saying that dates us all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom