Those who routinely dive with a pony tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 3l steel pony for dives down to about 25m (80ft), any deeper and it's twinset territory. When I carry a pony I have it mounted on my main cylinder, on my right hand side. Main tank has a primary and an octo, with the octo clipped off on my left shoulder D-ring. The pony has one second stage which is necklaced.

The pony is my emergency bailout, so I don't need to be able to hand it off to anyone. A gauge is an extra failure point, and I check the pressure before every dive using my main regs. Necklacing puts the reg where I can easily reach it. If I have to use it, then the dive is over and the only palce I'm going is up.

If my buddy needs air, then they use my octo as they've been trained. This gives them access to the contents of my main cylinder, which will always contain more air than the pony. The dive is still over and we're going up.

I don't change my weighting, and have never felt myself to be unbalanced.

When I'm not diving doubles, I sling a 30 cf pony on the left side D rings. I keep the second stage on a surgical rubber necklace. I usually am diving solo when I use this configuration. The necklace arrangement provides extra peace of mind; I don't need to think about where that mouthpiece would be if I needed it--it's sitting there just below my face.

Slinging an 80 works great but I would never carry that much gas and not plan on using some of it.

Breathe the slung tank down to 1500 psi,switch to back gas (shut the valve on the sling tank) Breathe the back gas down to 1500 then start to ascend. This method will always leave you 40 cu ft of gas for an emergency.

It can also very easily take you beyond NDL's. Nitrox recommended.

Thanks,
I appreciate all the help and info. I'm a new diver and the few dives I have in so far have all been pretty shallow (<40'), but I've always wanted the "security" of a small pony. I've just been kicking around how to rig it and carry it. I'm going to Bonaire this spring and would like to have a small pony set-up to be able to take along. Again, I sure appreciate all the help.

Last time I was on Bonaire, I rented a slung Al 30 from Walt III at Rec Tek Scuba Bonaire - We do it silent. We do it deep. Techincal diving. Since he runs technical as well as recreational diving courses, the regs are in great shape, so no worries.

Of course, if you had concerns about rental equipment somewhere else, you could always bring your own first stage, second stage on a 40 inch hose, and spg on a 6 inch hose if you were concerned about the state of the regs provided, but that does add to the weight of your luggage.

I use the Ultimate Velcro Double Bands on a Blackdiamond BC, you can put any two tanks you want on them even two different sizes. You could use a smaller Al tank or an 80, they would travel well too.

I sling mine from my D rings on my left side

Back
Top Bottom