Thoughts about Intro To Tech Standards Changes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am beginning to realize that! Hopefully the perceived value I receive from TDI courses will be greater than that of PADI classes. We'll see!

Keep the old adage in mind "It's not the agency, it's the instructor!"

Yes there are some differences between the agencies from a philosophy and course-content standpoint, but "agencies" don't teach classes. Instructors do.

My only TDI course experience was so-so at best.

On the other hand, I did my tec training through PADI/DSAT with a "PADI Instructor" who is phenomenal. Yes he's "PADI" but he's also an accomplished wreck/cave diver with a GUE background and has as rigorous and disciplined an approach to training as anyone you'll likely come across. And he'd have the same approach no matter which agency he was "with."

I am certified by PADI, but I am wanting to convert over to SDI/TDI and go tech. This is a real bummer though b/c I want the most education that I can out of each class, and that will not come from a Rec diver teaching intro to tech. I guess I will have to make sure my instructor can take care of me after intro to tech to go through them and know I am in the best hands I can be in.

I am certified by PADI, but I am wanting to convert over to SDI/TDI and go tech. This is a real bummer though b/c I want the most education that I can out of each class, and that will not come from a Rec diver teaching intro to tech. I guess I will have to make sure my instructor can take care of me after intro to tech to go through them and know I am in the best hands I can be in.

I am not sure I understand what you mean. I imagine there's a question in there someplace but I cannot see it.

Traci, there are always going to be negative waves! A lot of that is to do with being jealous, I will only let the PITTY i mean PADI organization certify me in Rescue, thAT SHOWS HOW MUCH FAITH I HAVE IN THEM.. Look forward to ssing you in July for Solo, Keith

I am not sure I understand what you mean. I imagine there's a question in there someplace but I cannot see it.

Not as much a question, but a statement that when i go to start on tech, I am going to ensure the instructor that I chose can take me all the way up so that i know I will be getting the most from the course since is not a requirement to be a tdi instructor anymore.

when i go to start on tech, I am going to ensure the instructor that I chose can take me all the way up

Do you mean that you would not go for Adv. Nitrox course to a instructor if he is not also certified as an instructor of Deco Procedures, Extended Range, Trimix and Adv. Trimix?

Some people change instructors for different courses just to see different points of view, different experience, different teaching methods, etc...

ElBacio

I am more talking for the intro to scuba. It sounds like they are letting some rec instructors do the intro to tech and i wanna get the most out of doing my tech classes, so I am going to look for a tech instructor. I may not stay with them all the way through, but at least get a strong base to my moving into tech diving. Thats just my opinion and what I have drawn from the op.

i wanna get the most out of doing my tech classes, so I am going to look for a tech instructor.
Look for a passion to learn and teach mixed with humility instead. There are a lot of lousy full tech instructors out there who are legends in their own mind.

Debates such as this one are reason enough for our involvement as an agency in this forum. The feedback here has been gathered into a discussion document and forwarded to our TAP (Training Advisory Panel).

However, in the greater scheme of things it's important to note a couple of points of logic that have some bearing on the changes made to standards.

ALL TDI leadership certifications globally are processed by TDI HQ staff working out of Maine. This in conjunction with our QA procedures constitutes a degree of checks and balances. Is it the perfect net catching ALL sloppy practices and sub-standard instruction? Probably not; but our training department and TAP try hard to make it as close as practical.

Tech instructors do have to start somewhere. Before we introduced a certified intro to tech program, that entry level was TDI Nitrox; this has changed now and intro to tech instructor has become an alternative entry point... really that's the major difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom