Thoughts on a new computer function

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are doing such an aggressive dive profile, are you really worried about how soon can you get another dive in? Let the surface deco just be an extra layer of safety over air.

This looks like a bad idea that would promote more aggressive dive profiles (overall repetitive). While I do understand it, you can clear your tissue loading faster, why do you need your tissues cleared faster?

I see too much risk of the user forgetting to put the computer back in air mode once they stop breathing the other gas.

That is something well within the control of the individual.

Very fallible individuals as well.
When you are doing an ascent using a multigas computer (or 2), you have to change the computer after every gas switch. Why is it harder to change the computer after a gas switch on the surface than it is under water?

Apparently these fallible individuals are able to calculate a running average depth during the working portion of the dive with ease and with no possibility of making a mathematical error, but they are incapable of remembering to switch the computer when they finally set the O2 regulator down. (That's from another thread.)

Because when you need to drive from 4300 foot elevation to 8000 foot elevation to go home it would be good to have some idea when it reaches the point where you can do this safely.
Which could also be addressed by adding something to the SI screen. Something along the lines of "right now you can safely ascend X ft"

Maybe a set time for surface deco, like you are plan to do sd in 20 minutes, set it to 20 minutes, then it switch to air by itself.

Which could also be addressed by adding something to the SI screen. Something along the lines of "right now you can safely ascend X ft"
To do that, the computer designer would have to accept an ascent to altitude algorithm, and that is the problem. You can create one using the Navy's ascent to algorithm tables, but that would require implementing an untested system.

I would think they would be more willing to say, "Here's your situation. You make a decision."

Good thread and it’s something I have thought about as well. My view, paraphrasing John, it’s my situation and my decision.

I have seen a max elevation on a computer in the past. I think it was a Liquidvision.
I asked shearwater about it a long time ago, they cringed and didn't want anything to do with it.
The idea isn't new.

I think the altitude deal would be pretty hard to implement for several reasons, but I'd like a SurD option. I'll breathe my purged O2 loop back to the truck, or back to the dock depending on things. Being able to track that would be cool.

I wouldn't try using it as a way to get back in the water, but I can completely understand the altitude thing. Anything that helps with inert gas washout is a good thing, being able to track it would be cool.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom