Thoughts on AI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, I'll play.

It's interesting the change of attitude for AI from some over teh last few years. Before Perdix AI there was huge pushback on here. After Shearwater incorporated AI, it suddenly became okay. Meh!

For me as follows:

I'm new to SM thus I'm for teh moment keeping it traditional with SPG to build up "muscle memory" for checking my gauges more often than I might with backmount. In the future who knows.

In backmount, my fun rig, will have AI, and so will my redundant cylinder (call it a pony or a sling etc)

If Im in my teaching rig then No, not if I'm in the pool nor on basic OW dives becuase I like to set an example of checking my SPG in an obvious fashion fo rthe students. If I use that reg set for guiding, then I'll put my Transmitter onto it

I have QD on all my reg sets to allow easy swapping around as need be.

All my sets still have SPG's fitted because;

a) I can't be arsed to find the port plugs,
b) I use the spg when setting up my gear,
c) By habit I always look at my SPG when making idiot breaths before I jump

More recently my transmitters have been on holiday in Finland being upgraded, so I've been back to using my SPG, and while it's not an issue to check it 3 or 4 times during a dive, it's certainly more convenient to glance at my tank pressure when I'm looking at my computer.

So for me I like it but it's not essential, however because I keep my SPG's on my rig, it doesn't' matter it one goes down

That said in 500 dives with transmitters I've never had a signal loss nor tx failure on a dive trip

...It's interesting the change of attitude for AI from some over teh last few years. Before Perdix AI there was huge pushback on here. After Shearwater incorporated AI, it suddenly became okay. Meh!...

So....Ratio has AI for all their computers, Shearwater has the Perdix AI and the Teric, Heinrichs Weikamp has the OSTC 2 TR. If Garmin is serious they will have AI in the Descent Mk 2. Who knows, maybe Dive Soft will go AI to compete. Sure seems like AI is OK these days.

I guess wireless AI has already proven to be very reliable, with very few possibilities for a catastrophic failure.
Thus when switching to bm doubles, I decided to keep using my Perdix AI transmitter connected to my right post with a short hp hose and bungeed to right cylinder neck. In the left post I have a regular SPG.
Pressure display on your wrist is really nice, as is data logging and analysing SAC after each dive for all different phases of dive.
For some reason I haven't figured out, redundancy is not a valid argument with pressure gauges :)

yes user replaceable
Take CR2 batteries
and use 013 orings

neither of which are terribly common so you'll want to take a spare set with you, but I got 100 of the 013 o-rings on amazon for $8, and the CR2's last long enough that you just carry a spare with you on the offchance it dies.

Something that appears to have been missed in this conversation is that the Perdix (and others) notify you when the CR2 transmitter battery is getting low. It's part of the transmitter standard, and not like it just dies randomly.

Something that appears to have been missed in this conversation is that the Perdix (and others) notify you when the CR2 transmitter battery is getting low. It's part of the transmitter standard, and not like it just dies randomly.

but it does die rather quickly.... You get less than an hour of warning which is problematic when using them on big dives

but it does die rather quickly.... You get less than an hour of warning which is problematic when using them on big dives

That hasn't been my experience. I had one give the warning on a recreational trip. It lasted several days without dieing. I didn't replace it until I got home.

I’m just starting with SM towards going tech. I’ve got two transmitters for my Perdix AI. SPGs are bungeed to my first stages. I see no reason to forgo AI. I like having all my info on my wrist.

You wouldn't happen to be the other diver signed up for TDI SM with James this weekend, would you?

You wouldn't happen to be the other diver signed up for TDI SM with James this weekend, would you?

It’s SDI SM. And yep, that’s me. You were described to me as a big fan of wrecks. :D

Another positive for AI: for times when you would otherwise show an SPG, I just hold out my right arm with Perdix on it. Heck of a lot easier to see if diving in our usually low viz at the quarry.

I have an air integrated computer and I love it, I love the dive time remaining function that estimates how much more time I can expect my tank to last. For those who are not math inclined it’s great! But for some reason I mistakenly got really excited when I saw the title of this thread; I thought you meant AI as in artificial intelligence. AI made me think of robots and I’ve been thinking that I would like to have a robot dive buddy. If they can make sex-bots, why not dive bots? He would have to carry my tanks ;-)

On Scubaboard, AI stands for 'Argument Impending'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom