Thoughts on Blackbeard's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seacreatures, thanks! Love your pics! Definitely helps reassure me that I've made a good decision with this...

tstormdiver gave you good advice. I did Bleackbeards when they went out of Miami and loved it! I certainly want to go again. My trip was in October and had fantastic weather. I went as a single and met plenty of great people. Most anyone who signs up for this adventurous liveaboard is fun and outgoing so you'll have a great time. Don't worry about finding a buddy, you'll make friends quickly, find a regular buddy, and dive with different people.

Pack very little as you have only a 12x36 inch shelf for clothes in your bunk. I'll echo the suggestion to ask for one of the larger bunks in the main cabin, you'll appreciate the room. For your wet dive gear you'll have a box topside. Once you strap a tank to your BC you'll leave it on all week and just remove your reg for fills. Be sure to take good dive lights and plenty of batteries as the night dives are awesome.

Have a great time!!

Willar, if you don't mind me asking... what kind of suit did you wear in October?

I wore a 3mil full suit and was very warm. Some people go with a 3mil shorty. The water may be very warm but when you are doing 20+ dives a week you can lose body temperature pretty quick. There is no hot tub or long hot showers to warm you so you'll want to stay warm from the start.

I am going on Blackbeards oct 16-22 and I can't wait! I wonder how many night dives there will be? I am bring in a .5mm full skin suit. think that will be enough? anyone else going on that date?

I actually booked on Blackbeard's earlier today for October 22-29. Very excited. Yeah, I hear it's a little crowded... but after talking to their office, and reading the reviews online, I thought I would give it a shot. Plus, it is about the diving after all, and the pics and videos I've seen from their cruises lead me to believe that the price is an absolute steal for the experience you get. We'll see! <crosses fingers>

I did look at the Aqua Cat... but after I thought about it, I figured it might be more fun to go cheaper with Blackbeards and use the extra money to spend a couple extra days in Nassau after the cruise, before going home.

Anyway... it's gonna be one heck of an experience, I can already tell that! Now I'm just working on finding a buddy to go with me so I don't have to be "that weird guy," LOL. But even if I end up going solo and wind up with an insta-buddy when I get onboard, I'll be cool with that, too.

that sure sounds like a GREAT deal, let me know how it goes !!!!:idk:

Had to push my trip back a week due to work. Heading out oct 23rd-30th from nassau. Anyone else heading on those dates? We really can't wait to go. Does anyone have any tips on things to bring to make the trip a bit easier? I was told seat cusion,carpenter clams and non slip mug but I was wondering it any of you that has taken the trip had any other ideas?

- Simple carpenter spring clamps are great for securing your towels and wetsuit during travel between sites. Bring several, available at Sears tool department.
- Several gallon & quart ziplock bags to keep things dry and organized.
- Good paperback books to read and share.
- IPod with plenty of good music.
- Deck of cards.
- Very Small power strip if you have several things to charge (Torch, ipod, camera, etc.)
- Good dive torch, marker light, and backup light, plus batteries for all.
- Spare fin straps.
- Spare mask (or at least a spare strap).
- Jolly Rancher candies (enough to share with everyone, they're popular).
- Beach towel (or 2 to rotate) plus a wash cloth or two for bathing.
- Zip-ties of several sizes to secure accessories or repair torn gear.
- Knife and EMT Shears
- 20-24 oz mug with non-slip bottom and lid.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, hats, long-sleeve shirt for sun protection

If bringing a netbook, laptop, phone or ipod-touch, load lots of pics from past dive trips to share with other divers. It's fun to share pics and stories during surface intervals.

Bring business cards or personal contact cards to give people on the boat. You will make new friends and want to exchange pics once you get home. Having cards already printed with your phone and email makes it easy for everyone. Consider including your picture on the card so people have your name and face together.

I went on the Morning Star in August and it was amazing! I haven't slept as well since I got home!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom