• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. NothingClever

NothingClever Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I’ve had several Cosmiq+ DCs. They were a great entry-level DC but they’ve had some reliability problems. Mine were failure to charge and false readings. While standing on dry ground, I spontaneously did a 73m dive when I turned on a NIB replacement Cosmiq+ . I’m on my third in a year. Same experience for others I dived with this past weekend on a LOB.

Point? This offering from D6G is enticing as an entry level computer for my wife and daughter since the Cosmiq+ doesn’t fit the bill, IME.

Same as aviator8....going to check into the size for my wife and daughter. The AL DCs they have now are ridiculously large and unwieldy on their itty-bitty wrists.

2. axluba

axluba Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I’ll keep an eye on this one!

3. JohnN

JohnN Solo Diver

This sounds like a very good backkup computer for my Perdix.

Carlos Danger and markmud like this.
  4. loosenit2

loosenit2 Solo Diver

This looks like an intriguing DC, smaller watch form, Bulmann 16 algorithm, good price point.

My real question is about the D6 business model. D6s active presence on SB, their direct to consumer sales model, their support for self-service of gear, and the nature of most of their products all led me to believe that they were primarily targeting the dive professional/tech crowd.

This very intriguing DC is expressly targeting the recreational crowd. Tech and dive professionals are most likely to use this only as a backup computer, which is a pretty nitch market.

My question is how will D6 market this product to the larger recreational dive community? I want D6 to grow, I very much like their products and their approach and think they have the right long term business strategy; but marketing, without an LDS network, is a very difficult thing to do, so how will they do it with this DC?

5. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    2020 is gonna be fun. We have plans and half baked ideas. Get some popcorn.

chronos, 1967Goat, Hoag and 8 others like this.
  6. NothingClever

NothingClever Barracuda

I think a large part of the answer is accounted for in post #33 in the thread below, specifically this part.....

”The consumer expectations of retail has changed, fighting consumer expectations is a loosing game. We are at a place where either you find a way to met the expectations and provide a value added service while monetizing the service or you go out of business. Going out of business is often a long and painful process (to wit, Oceanic/AUP) during which the conditions for the unprofitable business often lead to a mistaken "double down" on bad behaviors that in fact lead to the conditions.”

In my case, I trust DGX more than I do the average LDS. I can call from halfway around the world, have a chat with Keith or Mike, and have a product in my hands in about 72 hours, barring any delays in customs. Because SCUBA is not a cheap sport, many folks can swallow the DHL Express global shipping fee and VAT because they KNOW they are going to get the right kit the first time and it’s backed by bombproof customer service. When I’m home in Tampa, the product shows up the day after ordering and I use the time I would have spent trying to get what I want at the LDS to do something with my family instead.

That was a really long-winded way of saying I’m not sure products on the shelves at a wide array of LDS is necessary anymore for consumers to be happy and businesses to be profitable.

I think Chris supports LDS but is evolving his sales methods consistent with consumer shopping habits.

Quality Question

eleniel, Dark Wolf, aviator8 and 2 others like this.
  7. NothingClever

NothingClever Barracuda

Duhhh....Chris is here. Perhaps I should shut up and let him answer for himself.

8. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    I would prefer to talk diving, or be diving.

eleniel, descend, BenjaminF and 2 others like this.
  9. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Here's the thing that people who are unfamiliar with Deep 6 need to understand (new to SB or just came across this thread via a Google search).

Deep 6 is a company that stands behinds their products and will always make things right. It isn't often that a company has a solid culture of customer satisfaction and quality products. When a diver bought a regulator set but then had buyer's remorse due to getting FUD at his LDS, he received a full refund as (not a direct quote but close enough) Deep 6 "wants you to be fully satisfied with our products."

I will admit to being a "fanboi" but Deep 6 serves several niches, one being the independent instructor and small dive operation that doesn't generate many sales.

I just bought one (though I shouldn't due to other expenses), but I look forward to evaluating this dive computer.

drrich2, BalekFekete, elgoog and 2 others like this.
  10. tridacna

tridacna ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    A friend picked one up in Singapore for about $200. She likes it a lot.

cerich likes this.