• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I dove the Excursion today and it was great :) However, I was a bit surprised when it did not turn on from hibernation with just getting wet...is that by design? Even at 10ffw it did not wake...my mistake...I got to about 2ffw, held the wake button few a few secs...then it turned on and was straight on after that :)

2. MaxE

MaxE DIR Practitioner

Per the manual it turns on into dive mode at a depth of 1.5m that would be just short of 5ft. So from the sounds of it you did not go deep enough for it to activate.

3. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    The manual is unclear to me. I read it as turning on at 5ft from watch mode, not turning on from hibernation.

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  4. stadevene

stadevene Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    From page 8 1.3.1
    Others:
    1. When the device has no any operation
    under the watch mode screen, it will enter the standby mode (no screen), and for a longer period (about 24 hrs) without any operation, then enter the hibernation status.
    2. Under the standby mode, you may wake up the device by twisting it about 45 degree, or press any buttons. If you dive into the water, it will switch to the dive mode after 1.5M.
    3. Under the hibernation mode, you can only turn on the device by pressing the power button, all the settings and data will remain in it. Please notice that, always check your device before your dive.

I’m 9 dives in and all good so far. There are some differences from my previous computers but nothing really too crazy. The one that is most obvious is previous DCs I was able to see my nitrogen load in some sort of bar or graph. It’s not a huge deal as the NDL takes care of that dive to dive. It was just a nice visual reference to know if I’m still partly loaded or cleared out.

I also like seeing the dive profile and would love to see that as part of the normal log info that I could pull up instead of just a minute or two after the dive.

All minor though as the really important things work great.

Andrew Dawson and RainPilot like this.
  5. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

I got deep enough as 10ffw is >1.5m :wink:

Thanks Stadevene...great job with the quite. The DC worked as expected...I just need to read up more on it.

Also, I'm very impressed with the battery. It came about 85% charged...been almost a month and [only] two dives later and it is still at least 50% charged :)

6. stadevene

stadevene Nassau Grouper

Yes, agree on the battery. I fully charged then did 8 dives (8 hours) and it still had half bars left. I think the claim is up to 24 hours of dive time but I've been wearing it all day too. I might have been able to stretch another day, I still have a few days left so I might try.

7. aviator8

aviator8 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    I charged mine when I got it around Dec 15. I have not dived it yet and pick it up and check the time every day or so to see how long it will last in my storage bin. It’s 2 months now and still shows 1 bar left. It looks like putting it up to overwinter in hibernation mode for three months should have it still charged in the end.

8. stadevene

stadevene Nassau Grouper

Logged our first 23 dives on the Excursion this week. My wife and I are both satisfied with the DC. It performed well, was comfortable to wear all day and most importantly kept us safely within limits. Things we learned:

- Our total dive log times differed from the scuba history time (press the bottom right button twice to get to it). The scuba history shows 36 more minutes of time than adding dive log times together. My guess is the history will be an accumulation of “time wet” where the logs will be based on depth. Since a number of the dives here at CoCoView are drop offs where you have a longish shallow shore exit I’m guessing the log would cut out before the history did as we were in under a meter (3 feet) of water for a good couple minutes. That or the DC would count shower time too as I’d wear mine when showering and did notice it would light up/wake up a few times. I’d be curious if others have noticed a difference. Going forward we will just use the log time as with any other DC.
    - As noted in previous posts you need to wake the DC up from hibernation or it won’t log.
    - A surface alarm option would be a welcome upgrade to get you up in the morning.
    - The dive profile would be great to be able to pull up. Maybe once the app is available that will be something that gets downloaded.
    - You can quickly view your surface interval time which is great. My previous DC required you to do math which was annoying.
    - Size and weight are good, we don’t notice it on the wrist.
    - Battery life is good. I completed my last 10 dives (around 10 hrs) from a full charge and this is what I had left at the end of the last dive. I would guess I could get another day out of it before needing a recharge.

Again, no issues, all positives. Very happy with the much discussed algorithm and settings.

Attached Files:

9. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

I was playing with making a bungee strap as the NATO band, tho very well made, is a bit short using a drysuit and thick undergarment.

I was able to unscrew the screwed on band pins (that hold the strap to the computer) when I was pulling the bungee (surgical tubing as I only have 8mm bungee on hand) through the pins...a surprise for sure.

So, IMHO, I recommend at least checking your screws now and again for tightness...and or using a medium thread locker (I'm using Loctite 242, medium strength)on the threads.

BTW, this DC is still fantastic :)

rob.mwpropane and lexvil like this.
  10. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

Also, the Allen key on the screws is 1.5mm.

rob.mwpropane and lexvil like this.