• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Thoughts on Deep 6's new DC

Discussion in 'Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers' started by ttsugar, Dec 11, 2019.

1. MaxE

MaxE DIR Practitioner

After looking at it again it does have a colon ( : ) and not a period (.) I still find it annoying that it is dropping the zero for minutes 1-9, its just not the standard formatting for time. This is a small complaint with what so far otherwise been a fine computer.

Andrew Dawson and Tournesol2000 like this.
  2. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Ok, so I had my first deco dive today. After the NDL was breached, the dive computer had a negative number in the NDL category on the computer face:

20200531_151925.jpg
    See example above.

As I ascended, I was expecting to get "credit" for my shallower depths...but the negative number kept getting more negative, one digit at a time, up to "-18". When, I ascended to my ceiling stop at 16', the NDL category value changed to the deco stop countdown number changed to a 6 minute countdown.

Computer was set to CF2, 21% O2.

Any idea what the "-18" number meant? The manual wording on page 12 has something to be desired and a few errors.

3. LandonL

LandonL ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The computer counts from 0-180 seconds when you pass the NDL (3 minutes), then starts to display your decompression time in minutes.

It sounds like you were given a total time of 6 minutes of decompression by the time you arrived at your stop.

4. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Out of curiosity, why?

Andrew Dawson likes this.
  5. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Woof! ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    hopefully a simple firmware fix as future things are rolled out...

Tournesol2000 likes this.
  6. CuriousRambler

CuriousRambler Solo Diver

# of Dives: 25 - 49
    Apologies if this has already been answered in this thread, I just can't spare time to read 49 pages of posts at the moment haha.

The manual's coverage of guage mode is pretty sparse, a couple of questions there:

1) I assume the top line "Current ATM" translates to "Current Depth," correct? My brain is only marginally metric-ized, so maybe mBAR is an easy conversion to depth. But in Freedom Units, I can't see much value in having a "Current [ambient] Pressure" readout on my gauge. Glancing to see "28.9PSI" doesn't mean much to me, intuitively.

2) It says you can reset the average depth and stopwatch by pressing the right top button during the dive. Is this to say one button resets both values simultaneously, and there's no way to preserve your average depth while resetting the stopwatch, or vise versa?

Thanks!

7. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

My computer, if it did that...it was not clear.

The display showed -1, -2, -3, -4, etc...until it said -18...then I hit the ceiling at 16fsw and the display switched to a 6in count down.

Perhaps, it was showing integers but it meant 10s blocks of time? For example, it really meant 10s, 20s, 30s, 40s, etc...but the display showed -1, -2, -3, -4...

8. Tournesol2000

Tournesol2000 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    This disturbs me quite a bit. As a new diver, having this type of confusion is not something I would want to deal with. Not that I plan to go into deco, but this Not what any dive computer should be doing in my opinion. I hope D6 comment on this and will look for a fix. if D6 don’t comment on a fix or do not fix it, I will sell my computer. Too bad.

scrane likes this.
  9. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hi @Andrew Dawson

Did your computer count up deco time to 180 seconds and then directly switch over to deco in minutes, so that you always knew how much deco time you had, ending up at 6 minutes at the stop? Your description sounds like it was at -18 (180 seconds) and then turned over to 6 min only when you reached your stop.

Going into deco is described on pp 12-13 of the Excursion manual https://www.deep6gear.com/PDFs/Deep6-Excursion-User-Manual.pdf It describes switching over to minutes after 180 seconds/3 min.

What was your deco time when you left the bottom and made your ascent? What was your depth when you went into deco? Did you make a direct ascent or did you stop at other various depths before reaching the stop? I'm just trying to figure out how you ended up with 6 min and whether you always knew your deco time.

I do a fair amount of light deco. In my experience, I rarely accrue much additional deco time if I make a direct ascent to the stop. On the other hand, the deco rarely clears during ascent unless is was extremely short to begin with.

Thanks in advance for the additional information, trying to figure out how your computer performed.

rhwestfall likes this.
  10. Andrew Dawson

Andrew Dawson Barracuda

[A] If it did count up in seconds, it did so in base 10 or something. Again, it only displayed -1, -2, -3, -4 etc..up to -18...NOT -10, -20, -30, -40...-180. It took about a minute between changing the value fro say -1 to -2.
    Yup, I already referred to that and that, IMHO, it lacks clear definition [including some mistakes on that page].
    [C]My deco time when I left the bottom was about "-2". I was at 100fsw when I went into deco. We did a gradual ascent up a long slope...the rate of accumulated deco obligation [the rate the numbers displayed increased, -1, -2, -3, -4, etc, did not change with depth...that is...even though I was hanging out a bit at 30fsw, the display kept changing from -13, -14, -15, etc....until -18...and I was then at 17fsw when it switched to 6min deco countdown]. I only knew my deco time once the countdown began when the display showed mins/secs.
    [D], yes, I have had deco clear many times where I shot down rather quickly to a deep depth, then ascended after a few mins...then hung out at say 60fsw for awhile, and the deco cleared. Uwatec computer.
    [E]:thumb:

scubadada and rhwestfall like this.